Fritz complete and nitrates??? Fritz guard and prime

Guppysnail

I always use prime I have some heavy metals in my source water and it never left me down. I wanted a measured pump like the fritz. (I was jealous) Looked into switching but all I could find was a few things that said fritz complete does not treat for metals and does not claim to but fritz guard does but does not treat for ammonia nitrite or nitrate.  So I couldn’t switch to complete to get the pump ☹️I ordered the fritz complete anyway just to get the pump 🤣

when it came I read the bottle and it claims to reduce nitrATES???  (I don’t have a nitrate problem but this question has been bugging me to pieces) Everyone keeps saying prime and fritz complete are the same. But both claim different things. And fritz guard claims a third set (actually just claims less things)

1. Why does prime claim heavy metal safety fritz complete does not but fritz guard does. is there a chemical difference to support these differences in claims? If so what is it please.

2. What is this nitrate detox how does it work? Does it work? Prime and fritz guard do not claim this 

3. what is the actual chemical makeup difference between prime and fritz complete and fritz guard

I read a lot of reviews some say fine switch some say fish died maybe this has to do with the heavy metal detox?

I just have never heard of any nitrate detoxification. 

Please these are sincere questions as I have no interest in any of the great fish keeping debates about ammonia detoxification actually working or not. I’m not concerned about ammonia. I really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance 😁

AA5EC717-B083-40E0-9877-51C392F4C5EB.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail

I think Fritz complete does treat for metals. Check here. I’ve grabbed a screenshot…

2DDF97DD-4B7C-4DCE-9DCC-502188C2BC58.jpeg.db85328b57b0ed92589dab02837b819b.jpeg

Here’s a link to the SDS (safety data sheet) for Fritz Complete.

And here is what appears to be the active ingredient…

68A3D673-252B-457E-A67F-F80BB9207A95.jpeg.e1e19e4983a2bdf31a86a151d24d3009.jpeg

Sadly, my chemistry I.Q. isn’t high enough to share anything meaningful about this cocktail.

But I’ll say… this is the Water conditioner I most often use. It seems to work just fine! 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:57 PM, Fish Folk said:

I think Fritz complete does treat for metals. Check here. I’ve grabbed a screenshot…

2DDF97DD-4B7C-4DCE-9DCC-502188C2BC58.jpeg.db85328b57b0ed92589dab02837b819b.jpeg

Here’s a link to the SDS (safety data sheet) for Fritz Complete.

And here is what appears to be the active ingredient…

68A3D673-252B-457E-A67F-F80BB9207A95.jpeg.e1e19e4983a2bdf31a86a151d24d3009.jpeg

Sadly, my chemistry I.Q. isn’t high enough to share anything meaningful about this cocktail.

But I’ll say… this is the Water conditioner I most often use. It seems to work just fine! 

Thank you so much. Now I know it is ok to switch to fritz complete safely (I’m paranoid with the metals).  Do you know anything about the nitrate claim?

One of the fishtubers had emailed the companies about both products. This is their responses:

Seachem Prime: 1ppm ammonia, 2ppm nitrite per dose

Fritz Complete: 1.5ppm ammonia, 1ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate per dose

I don't know if Seachem just forgot to include nitrate reduction in the email. Both can be dosed up to 5X safely.

• Thanks 1

I draw my water from my well. It passes thru 2 very large sediment filters and 2 large carbon filters.   I do not have chlorine, chloramine or ammonia.  My well is heavy with minerals and iron that I know if.  I use Fritz Complete just to be safe.  I was told I don’t need to but it’s cheap peace of mind. 
@Guppysnail I too like the pump…lol

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 6:26 PM, Streetwise said:

@ARMYVET, maybe you don’t need to treat at all.

It’s possible I don’t but without me sending out my water for a detailed testing(wonder who I could send it to…hmmm) I do  it because of possible metals and I do it out of 40 years of habit…lol

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, Fish Folk said:

I don’t know for sure. I’ve always wondered whether adding Fritz Complete while dosing liquid plant fertilizer with nitrates is counteractive. 

I never even thought of the plant fertilizer  aspect 🤔

Edited by Guppysnail

On 9/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, Fish Folk said:

I don’t know for sure. I’ve always wondered whether adding Fritz Complete while dosing liquid plant fertilizer with nitrates is counteractive. 

You know that’s a good question.   Maybe @Cory could weigh in and let us know if the Fritz product interferes in any way with Easy Green.

Edited by ARMYVET

Heavy metals don't just go away when another chemical is added. Nor does ammonia for that matter, it is just "binded" long enough to hope your biological filtration catches up. It would be interesting to know how heavy metals are "detoxified".

On 9/9/2021 at 10:26 PM, Ken said:

Heavy metals don't just go away when another chemical is added. Nor does ammonia for that matter, it is just "binded" long enough to hope your biological filtration catches up. It would be interesting to know how heavy metals are "detoxified".

Yes it definitely would 🤔

I think it chelates heavy metals which would make them theoretically non-toxic, but they'd still be there either in solution or precipitated out.

WRT the nitrate and ammonia claims, I've searched for a long time and found nothing.  lots of people make adhoc arguments one way or another but I've yet to find any actual explanation.

Both fritz and seachem formulations are proprietary so only they can tell us if they're really the same, though I think from a practical standpoint they probably are.

• Thanks 1

My wife accidentally overdosed one of our tanks with Complete when doing a water change and the nitrates dropped from ~40 to undetectable. Of course, we had to do another immediate water change because it also reduced the oxygen levels in the tank but it did show that Compete is effective as lowering nitrates. 

• Thanks 1