Growing Out Different Fry

Marc

I have 2 corydoras, 2 pseudomagil, CPDs, Dwarf emerald rasboras, ricefish and leopard danio fry all growing out in one tank or another. Does anyone see any detriment to growing them all out together in the same tank? I think it might actually be better since they occupy different niches mostly. And it will open up some tanks for me to bring in some fish from the tub.

The cpds are pretty picky so I may keep them with just corydoras. 

• Administrators
On 9/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, Marc said:

I have 2 corydoras, 2 pseudomagil, CPDs, Dwarf emerald rasboras, ricefish and leopard danio fry all growing out in one tank or another. Does anyone see any detriment to growing them all out together in the same tank? I think it might actually be better since they occupy different niches mostly. And it will open up some tanks for me to bring in some fish from the tub.

The cpds are pretty picky so I may keep them with just corydoras. 

Am I reading this correctly that you have Corydoras fry in this tank as well (or just 2 corys)? If so, I would just make sure that food makes it all the way to the bottom, and that slower eaters or bottom dwelling fry don't get out-competed for food. 

On 9/8/2021 at 6:52 PM, Zenzo said:

Am I reading this correctly that you have Corydoras fry in this tank as well (or just 2 corys)? If so, I would just make sure that food makes it all the way to the bottom, and that slower eaters or bottom dwelling fry don't get out-competed for food. 

Sorry I wasn't clear, two species of corydoras fry. I will over feed a bit and do extra water changes if needed.

• Like 1

I've heard that ricefish fry release growth stunting hormones. I have a few rainbow shiner fry growing out in tanks with and without ricefish fry. The RS fry that are with the ricefish fry are growing noticeably slower but as long as you keep up with water changes the effects are diminished. 

On 9/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, Ty Crosby said:

I've heard that ricefish fry release growth stunting hormones. I have a few rainbow shiner fry growing out in tanks with and without ricefish fry. The RS fry that are with the ricefish fry are growing noticeably slower but as long as you keep up with water changes the effects are diminished. 

Interesting, I have Pseudomugil furcatas and corydoras julli growing out with a few ricefish. The Corys grow fast but not sure how the its affecting the others, I rarely do water changes in their little tank. I may up it a bit.