Honey gourami or sparkling gourami for my planted 25gallon

Solstice_Lacer

I'm thinking of getting a small group of either honey or sparkling gourami for my planted 25 gallon.

I've heard sparkling are harder to sex and can skirmish more among males.

But they're smaller so potentially the extra space could offset that.

Any thoughts? They would be the only fish except for a bristlenose.

• Administrators

The Sparklings are a bit smaller, so they may be better suited for having multiple in a 25. They can fight with other males though, so you will probably want one male and a few females. May work if densely planted.

Honeys are a little bigger I believe, and can be harder on females. 

Either way, I think having lots of cover/plants available will help you.

Others here may have better advice. 

I have both but I just started keeping them. You might have trouble finding the Sparklers in a heavily planted 25, they’re really small, but they’re fascinating to watch as they hunt in the greenery. I think you’ll love them if you can get them from a shop that can sex them correctly. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 2:20 AM, Solstice_Lacer said:

I'm thinking of getting a small group of either honey or sparkling gourami for my planted 25 gallon.

I've heard sparkling are harder to sex and can skirmish more among males.

But they're smaller so potentially the extra space could offset that.

Any thoughts? They would be the only fish except for a bristlenose.

I recently got a pair of gold honey gouramis for my community tank and they spend most of the time in the top 25% of the tank - which is exactly what I wanted them for as that area was always empty! I have never had sparkling gouramis (though they are on my list for sure) but I think they spend more time amongst plants and stuff? I usually see them recommended for well planted tanks. So I guess my recommendation would depend upon what space you want them to take up in the tank? 

• Like 1

I started with 6 sparkling gouramis in a 20 long, now only have what I think is a pair. I did see alot of chasing but never saw out right aggression. It is densely planted with snails and at that time a small bristlenose plec so I never saw the deceased bodies. Im not sure if they were weak or if in fact the aggressor got them.

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure you could do more than two honeys in a 25 gallon. If you’re okay with just a pair, I’d definitely recommend them! My male and female honey have done great for me. The male is super respectful of her, and she’s pretty much always up for flirting! The only problems arise when he’s guarding eggs, at which point he gets super hormonal and wants to kill everything he sees. Just make sure the female can get out of his line of sight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love sparkling gouramies. I have kept them in various tank for many years. I always provide them with lots of plants and have had them spawn once in my 20 long. ( unfortunately I lost the tiny fry when I tried to move them to a separate grow tank. In the future I will probably leave them with the male) I currently have small group in my 125 gal heavily planted community tank, they are fascinating to watch.

• Like 2