I am little embarrassed I spent this on fish . . .

Tedrock

On 9/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

I just put together a Pygmy cory tank using 3 online sources for diversity….overnighted on 2 😳. Hubby thinks it’s  just some little fish so must be cheap 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I just setup a Sterbai tank about month or so ago and I have some dime size angels in a 55 and wanted to put 12-18 corys in that I’m just not sure what kind.  I once spent way to much on discus. Now you can source some good discus in a lot of places locally for $25-$45. Not cheap but reasonably and good looking fish to. As long as you don’t have your heart set on some of the $100-$200 a fish varieties, you should be able to stock it reasonably. If you have to ship them the small discus ship well and cost less @Jeff

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:18 PM, Fish Folk said:

I calculate that for every gallon of tank water, at baseline I spend… $10 just to get established.

So, a 55 gal easily “disappears” $550. I think I’ve got 375 gal. total running.

That’s $3,750… 

Calculate your gallons and add a zero. 😬🤑

NOOOOOOO…….I don’t want to know and hubby would stroke out!

• Haha 4

I spent $50 on a vampire pleco that mostly hangs out on the back of drift wood. It comes out for 5 min at a time during feedings. 

I am actively trying to get out of the only cheap fish mindset. I spend hundreds on tanks, filters, lights, substrate, plants, etc… without much thought. Then I have a hard time buying a small school of really cool corys because they are $6.00 each. 

I have to remind my self the hobby should revolve around enjoying cool fish and they should be a bigger consideration in my budget. That being said my favorite fish to watch lately have been my white clouds.

• Like 8

On 9/8/2021 at 9:18 PM, Fish Folk said:

I calculate that for every gallon of tank water, at baseline I spend… $10 just to get established.

So, a 55 gal easily “disappears” $550. I think I’ve got 375 gal. total running.

That’s $3,750… 

Calculate your gallons and add a zero. 😬🤑

Let’s see…

15 …20 gallon tanks 

3 …. 5 gallon tank 

1 … 20 gallon cube

1 … 5 gallon cube

oh yeah and one 150 gallon pond

Do I really want to do the math and know that number🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

• Haha 7

Can’t walk out of my LFS without spending $100. Seriously. Maybe once or twice I’ve managed it.

My most recent big spend was $125 on 5 TEENY TINY CPDs. And I didn’t even know if they were sexed correctly! Oh, and I spent another $25 on foods to make sure they breed well. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@David W I try not to look at the price when looking at fish but it comes up. For me one of favorites is still angelfish and silver dollars. I’m ok with $4 angelfish and then there are times I will spend way more. I have to admit that I liked a fish and then wanted it more when it was rare and expensive. It has not happened about 20 years. I have a pleco that paid about that and never see.

• Like 1

gotta tell ya, i cringe when it comes to paying more than a few bucks for a fish. 25 years ago, sturgeon, and gar's for 15-20 bucks each was huge. last few years ive bought guppies for $27 a pair, and done it more than once. im much happier to buy fish that are under 10 bucks each.

• Like 5

On 9/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

I just put together a Pygmy cory tank using 3 online sources for diversity….overnighted on 2 😳. Hubby thinks it’s  just some little fish so must be cheap 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reminds me of when my husband thought all the flowering shrubs and perennials in our yard "just grew there" so I just let him think it. So many, many lilies and hydrangeas. Shhhhh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 9/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, Patrick_G said:

But then there’s aquascaping wood 

I moved "a box of sticks" from one state to another and some people who don't shop for "sticks" thought it was crazy that I didn't just throw them out and "go round up some new sticks when you get there". 

• Haha 2

On 9/8/2021 at 9:21 PM, PineSong said:

Reminds me of when my husband thought all the flowering shrubs and perennials in our yard "just grew there" so I just let him think it. So many, many lilies and hydrangeas. Shhhhh.

Oh yes haha. We have a specialty nursery that sells their plants at our grocery store and I do the shopping. My wife pretends not notice but it’s way to easy to bring home plants with every little thing we need from the store. 

• Like 1

I'm kind of embarassed that I had such simple fish shipped to me from Florida (platies and guppies, not amazing or rare) but not so much about the price as about the fact that when I got the text they were being held at the post office I rearranged my afternoon appointments so I could go pick them up.

Thinking about how my parents who didn't miss a day of work in 35 years would judge me for ditching the office without a second thought to go get my box of fish....

• Haha 4

My local fish store gives you one of their t-shirts for spending $300 and a sweatshirt if you spend $500...

I'm not embarrassed about walking out with a few hundred dollar bill... I am embarrassed about the number of t-shirts and sweatshirts I own though. 😂😂😂

If anything ever happens to me. Don't let my family sell my fish, tanks, guns or fishing gear for what I told them I paid for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I spent around  $200 on glofish for my son's tank (12 glotetras & 14 glodanios).   He also just had to have the orange laser corydoras which are also pricey (nearly 100 for 8 of them).  My son heard the word glow and his eyes lit up about the corys and after that I couldn't persuade him with something more common like albino or pygmy cories.  Yeah, there are $300 worth of fish in his 29 gallon tank.   The irony is when I started this tank I thought it would be cheap because it was a 29 gallon and my son wanted small fish, boy was I wrong.  

Edited by Kathy F
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1