I am little embarrassed I spent this on fish . . .

Tedrock

I'm liking this topic! I rescued a fish (Asian Upside Down Catfish) and he came in a pitiful 5 gallon tank--no heater, awful filter etc. Let's see, I bought a new filter, heater, food, light, water conditioner, tank cleaning supplies to get him comfortable in his five gallon. Then I bought:

75 gallon aquarium, substrate, heaters, thermometer, water testing kit, numerous plants and decor, lighting system, hood, tubing and air hoses, fluval cannister filter, python cleaning system, nets, aquarium stand, and I'm sure there are a few other things I have forgotten.

Haven't added it all up yet.....so much for the "free" fish. I also rarely see him--he's nocturnal.

Oh--and I still need to buy tankmates at some point.😁

Edited by littleextra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

On 9/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, Tedrock said:

So what is your story?  What fish purchased did you make that you are embarrassed to tell others you made but likely do it again.

I just spent $90.00 on six koi rice fish.  I am glad I did it but I have secret shame.

B531D2C7-867E-45E8-A5FE-108AFBF09B80.png

On Sat. I am going to collect 8 Rainbow For £150.00. The Mrs. didn't blink, she bought the tank 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tedrock said:

So what is your story?  What fish purchased did you make that you are embarrassed to tell others you made but likely do it again.

I just spent $90.00 on six koi rice fish.  I am glad I did it but I have secret shame.

B531D2C7-867E-45E8-A5FE-108AFBF09B80.png

I think some importer must have made them available.  My LFS got those in stock and I picked up 2F 2M.  I collected eggs for two days and now I have 50-60 fry : D.  They're going to look great in next years pond.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:53 AM, Patrick_G said:

I was at the LFS today and the Medaka were $24 each. I think you might have actually got a deal on your six.

Wow $24?? This is why I was so excited when a researcher at the local college got 100 medaka by mistake and was wondering how in the world he was going to get rid of them. I solved his problem very quickly. 😀

Then I went to my LFS with the ~60 that I wasn’t keeping as broodstock. They’d never kept or sold rice fish before. I also brought them a huge bucket of pre-bunched plants.

I walked away with $20.

I sure hope they’re not selling those fish for $24 each!!! 😭

On 9/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, PineSong said:
On 9/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, Patrick_G said:

But then there’s aquascaping wood 

I moved "a box of sticks" from one state to another and some people who don't shop for "sticks" thought it was crazy that I didn't just throw them out and "go round up some new sticks when you get there". 

This is too real. My in-laws couldn’t believe I spent $35 on a “stick.”

• Like 4

On 9/10/2021 at 5:48 AM, Guppysnail said:

I overnighted 6 magenta mystery snails from Texas to Pa. love me some snails….hubby knows regular mystery snails at lfs are 1.99 so he again thinks…cheap little snails 🤣

You are evil 😈

I love it….🤣😂🤣

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Hum. For a single fish i would guess it would be the L204 as they are around $30 a pop and i have 7; but in the grand scale of things that really isn't that much. Some of the apisto pairs i've purchased have been around $50 which is a little less and I don't regret them at all. I kind of regret the group of orange laser i have since i never see them. Last but least there is the group of red fin oto. On the bright side they are doing well but the negative is they cost an arm and a leg for the group; though the individual fishes were not that expensive.

-

Some pictures:

L204 (they were much smaller when purchased):

f1.jpg.7a91d2e03d61c941c253c1bace7dfc5b.jpg

one of several apisto i have:

nijesseni.jpg.cb280cc6c1abe348162f522dd20f1f10.jpg

My orange laser - see how many of the 14 or so i have you can find; and while you are at it spot the group of 12 pygmy cory:

40b.jpg.e14009d5be3898c7ae0d9e280a20b2a7.jpg

Actually when they get hungry some of them are visible so i know they are still alive just a waste of money since well I can never see them !

--

Hum. No pictures of the red fin oto; hum. you probably didn't want to see them (but on the bright side they never hide)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 9/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Hobbit said:

Wow $24?? This is why I was so excited when a researcher at the local college got 100 medaka by mistake and was wondering how in the world he was going to get rid of them. I solved his problem very quickly. 😀

I think it’s the orangish “koi” variety that’s so pricey. Maybe hobbyists should be checking out the lab supply places for good deals!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, anewbie said:

Hum. For a single fish i would guess it would be the L204 as they are around $30 a pop and i have 7; but in the grand scale of things that really isn't that much. Some of the apisto pairs i've purchased have been around $50 which is a little less and I don't regret them at all. I kind of regret the group of orange laser i have since i never see them. Last but least there is the group of red fin oto. On the bright side they are doing well but the negative is they cost an arm and a leg for the group; though the individual fishes were not that expensive.

-

Some pictures:

L204 (they were much smaller when purchased):

f1.jpg.7a91d2e03d61c941c253c1bace7dfc5b.jpg

one of several apisto i have:

nijesseni.jpg.cb280cc6c1abe348162f522dd20f1f10.jpg

My orange laser - see how many of the 14 or so i have you can find; and while you are at it spot the group of 12 pygmy cory:

40b.jpg.e14009d5be3898c7ae0d9e280a20b2a7.jpg

Actually when they get hungry some of them are visible so i know they are still alive just a waste of money since well I can never see them !

--

Hum. No pictures of the red fin oto; hum. you probably didn't want to see them (but on the bright side they never hide)

Beautiful tank!! What size is it?

Just spent too much on 10 orange laser cories.  But I had a store credit for snails and plants, so . . . . .  I’ve been trying to get my hands on orange lasers for a while.  As soon as I have some breeding going on, I’ll probably divide the group to put some in my eventual angel tank.

• Like 2

Back in the 90's I spent $150 each for 6 discus....

My (not yet ex) had told the buddy at the LFS there wasn't anything I couldn't breed🤦‍♂️. The fish were not as expensive as the water treatment system I made the lfs buy if they wanted me to successfully breed, so I felt like I had the better end of the bargain 😅

• Haha 3