Methods of Increasing KH

dan94

Hello all! I am in a quest to bring my KH just a few degrees in my new tank as I am injecting C02 and want a little more buffering capacity. I purchased Aquavitro Carbonate product, which is a liquid additive that increases KH. While this works, the way the dosing works out I will go through quite a lot of it. Has anyone else tried this product? What are some other options you have had luck with? I know many use crushed coral, but I have wondered if I have the space in my filter to fit it along with my other media. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 11:22 PM, dan94 said:

Hello all! I am in a quest to bring my KH just a few degrees in my new tank as I am injecting C02 and want a little more buffering capacity. I purchased Aquavitro Carbonate product, which is a liquid additive that increases KH. While this works, the way the dosing works out I will go through quite a lot of it. Has anyone else tried this product? What are some other options you have had luck with? I know many use crushed coral, but I have wondered if I have the space in my filter to fit it along with my other media. Thanks in advance!

I use crushed coral. Sometimes I just dump it unceremoniously on top of the substrate. On other occasions I hide and camouflage a black mesh  bag of it in the Hardscape.

One thing I’ve found is that CO2 tends to wear down buffer, and poise tanks for pH crash. I’m not sure if Crushed Coral would release at the rate that CO2 breaks down or not.

I assume you know this… but for new explorers with CO2, never dose at lights out, since plants can only utilize it during photosynthesis. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Use potassium carbonate, it's dirt cheap on Amazon and can be measured easily.

CellarScience - AD640LB Potassium Carbonate (lb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074D9BXRT/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VS7F33QF3X69SK8M4X9J

Thats the main ingredient in this Carbonate product I purchased. When I run out of this I will look into that, thank you!

On 9/8/2021 at 8:20 AM, Fish Folk said:

I use crushed coral. Sometimes I just dump it unceremoniously on top of the substrate. On other occasions I hide and camouflage a black mesh  bag of it in the Hardscape.

One thing I’ve found is that CO2 tends to wear down buffer, and poise tanks for pH crash. I’m not sure if Crushed Coral would release at the rate that CO2 breaks down or not.

I assume you know this… but for new explorers with CO2, never dose at lights out, since plants can only utilize it during photosynthesis. 

Ahh thats a good idea. I havent wanted to put it on top of my substrate, but I could probably find somewhere in the tank to hide a bag, especially as my plants continue to grow in. Thanks!

• Like 1

I've used Seachem Alkaline Buffer. Pretty straightforward stuff. I use it without their acid buffer. I would take a guess that its a blend of potassium and magnesium carbonate. the majority of Alkaline buffer looks like pearl ash (potassium carbonate) and it has a very dusty residue to it as well that reminds me of magnesium carbonate. Perhaps there is some calcium carbonate, but  I would think that would leave an insoluble residue - especially as pH increases and temperature decreases.

I may be wayyyy off in my analysis, and i really wish they published a chemical survey. it may just be an overpriced container of potassium carb lol.

My plants respond to it as if it were a fertilizer. it does require redosing as i've caught my pH drops over time in my low tech setup. I've also noticed that it will lower my gH as well for some reason. either the plants are using it up, or there is something chemical going on. My ramshorn snails respond pretty well to it. their shells grow out much more glossy and smooth since i started dosing it. my tapwater is already fairly hard, but lacks a lot of kH. that's why i supply it. (Tulsa,OK)

Baking Soda will slap your Kh up very quickly, but then you're adding a marginal amount of sodium. There can be contaminants in the soda unless it is aquarium/food specific. the soda in the baking aisle is probably the cleanest option for the price. The reef guys will use lab-grade baking soda in some instances.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 12:12 AM, Grant said:

I've used Seachem Alkaline Buffer. Pretty straightforward stuff. I use it without their acid buffer. I would take a guess that its a blend of potassium and magnesium carbonate. the majority of Alkaline buffer looks like pearl ash (potassium carbonate) and it has a very dusty residue to it as well that reminds me of magnesium carbonate. Perhaps there is some calcium carbonate, but  I would think that would leave an insoluble residue - especially as pH increases and temperature decreases.

I may be wayyyy off in my analysis, and i really wish they published a chemical survey. it may just be an overpriced container of potassium carb lol.

My plants respond to it as if it were a fertilizer. it does require redosing as i've caught my pH drops over time in my low tech setup. I've also noticed that it will lower my gH as well for some reason. either the plants are using it up, or there is something chemical going on. My ramshorn snails respond pretty well to it. their shells grow out much more glossy and smooth since i started dosing it. my tapwater is already fairly hard, but lacks a lot of kH. that's why i supply it. (Tulsa,OK)

Baking Soda will slap your Kh up very quickly, but then you're adding a marginal amount of sodium. There can be contaminants in the soda unless it is aquarium/food specific. the soda in the baking aisle is probably the cleanest option for the price. The reef guys will use lab-grade baking soda in some instances.

Thanks for the info! I bought some Alkaline Buffer at my LFS today to give a shot. Just trying to get it under control before I put any livestock in my new tank. Being my first C02 build, I want to be careful to not have any major PH swings. How often do you need to redose to keep your KH at your desired level?

On 9/8/2021 at 11:31 PM, dan94 said:

Thanks for the info! I bought some Alkaline Buffer at my LFS today to give a shot. Just trying to get it under control before I put any livestock in my new tank. Being my first C02 build, I want to be careful to not have any major PH swings. How often do you need to redose to keep your KH at your desired level?

My test strips tell me it's 120ppm/6.7dKH/2.39meql

this floats me between 6.0-7.0 pH. I end up dosing once a week or biweekly. I also add about half the recommended dose and that seems to be sufficient in my system.

If you plan on pushing 30ppm of CO2, then you will probably need to dose more frequently/intensely. if you plan on keeping the CO2 at a lower level, then less buffer may be necessary depending on your goals. adding some crushed coral could give you a little extra buffer in case you miss a dose or life happens. lower doses of CO2 should also afford you more wiggle room in regard to buffer dosing and life events.