Kribensis babies

Ixrayu

Hi all,

Set up this 20g long with the idea to have a pair of kribs and a smaller tetra for the top. I have von reo and pristellas coming this week. Well the kribs already have fry! First, I dont really want the fry, I have no where to put them and no one to give/sell to. So do I remove them now? How many would survive if left in tank? I was planning to put either the group of von rios or pristellas in this tank, should I wait or forget it. They charge at me coming to the tank and pestering the poor snail.20210907_155412.jpg.6c9a911f368123bf2f66a0766975b548.jpg

Kribs are very efficient breeders. They will  protect them and feed them. If you don't want frys you will have to remove the male or female. As to how to get rid of them; catching them is the only way. Adding predators doesnt' work well because mommy and daddy krib will fight to the death to protect them.

Edited by anewbie

I wouldn't recommend adding new fish to this tank as they will just get beaten up by the Krib parents. Kribs, once established and paired, will constantly spawn in the aquaria. If you don't want babies a pair in the long run isn't going to be a great idea. At this point youll have to pull the fry and rehome them or just put the new fish into another aquarium. In the long run you'll not only have to rehome the fry, but you'll more than likely have to find new homes for the Krib pair.