Switching from HOB to Sponge

DebD

Thanks in advance for any advice. 😃  I run 1 or 2 sponge filters w/ my HOB in my 20g.  I presently have a bn, 8 ember tetras, and some cherry shrimp culls. I am planning on adding a betta that's presently in quarantine. (He's sharing quarantine w/ neon tetras for another tank to see if he is aggressive 😇)

Will removing the HOB and just leaving the sponge filter ruin my cycle ? The HOB is a 20g Aqueon w/intake sponge and using ceramic + sponge  Is there anything I should do special to avoid that possibility?  Or should I just use the HOB ? Trying to control flow for the betta. 🤔

Edited by DebD

Hello @DebD, just out of curiosity, why are you removing the hob? To add to the quarantine tank or just to reduce the flow for the betta?

Removing the hob should not ruin your cycle. The sponge filter has beneficial bacteria along with all the other surfaces in the aquarium. I would only take precaution if your aquarium was very heavily stocked. Personally, I would not do anything special in this circumstance. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, Isaac M said:

Hello @DebD, just out of curiosity, why are you removing the hob? To add to the quarantine tank or just to reduce the flow for the betta?

Removing the hob should not ruin your cycle. The sponge filter has beneficial bacteria along with all the other surfaces in the aquarium. I would only take precaution if your aquarium was very heavily stocked. Personally, I would not do anything special in this circumstance. 

Previously there were 3 bn growing out 2 of whom have been moved. I also keep extra sponges if I need a quarantine. I have several tanks I run extra sponge in and occasionally breed bn and bandit cories. Just traded a few bn for the tetras and a betta. While I'm used to a lot of other fish this is my first betta 🤓  

On 9/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, Guppysnail said:

It wont ruin your cycle but with a bristlenose your sponges get dirty quick.  BN also like flow though I know betta do not. I would leave the hob and slow the flow personally.  

I have an intake sponge on and can always keep the water high. I was thinking due to the bn poop master using the sponge would be better. 

Choices choices 🤪

Edited by DebD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my old BN breeding tank I had 2 sponge filters in a 40B with no additional filtration. Keeping up with water changes and siphoning waste out of the tank you should be ok with the two sponge filters for your stocking, especially with the BN population going from 3 to 1. Besides flow, which you can up with either the air rate in the sponge filters or throwing in an air stone, there wouldn't be a drastic change by removing the HOB. 

• Thanks 1

I have HOB on several of my tanks. I do the bottle trick with the big tanks, but on a 20 or a 10 gallon you an just put a small breeder box under the outflow. Some of mine have zip ties holding them in place, and a few have just suction cups. It keeps the duckweed out of the outflow and forces it either to the side, or straight down. Either case would probably work good for the betta. My Wife's betta is in a 10 gallon tank right now with this set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1