Just getting started

Davevava

I'm new to the hobby but have been watching Cory for a while. I am being given a 16 gallon tank with 1 Blood-fin Tetra.

I plan to upgrade the tank to 50 gallons soon. My question is I have read that Blood-fins are a schooling fish do I need to get other Blood-fins or will other Tetras work?

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Davevava said:

I'm new to the hobby but have been watching Cory for a while. I am being given a 16 gallon tank with 1 Blood-fin Tetra.

I plan to upgrade the tank to 50 gallons soon. My question is I have read that Blood-fins are a schooling fish do I need to get other Blood-fins or will other Tetras work?

They're a lot more comfy in a school of their own, usually a minimum of 6 is recommended but more would be better.   You can keep them with other peaceful fish.

Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby!

As already mentioned, tetras are schooling fish and like lots of company, preferably the same species.  I have not seen them in the wild, but in aquariums they seem to school mostly with their own species. ( Barbs and danios, among the other commonly found, hardy species , also 'school'.)

Also very nice to see a school of 12 or 20 tetras, essentially identical,  'in formation' cruising around your tank. (You'd probably need more than 16 gallons to get the full effect)  They seem to navigate collectively, similar to a flock of birds - one in the lead and the others taking subtle cues from the leader.

That said, I'd take my time before going to a 50 gallon tank, being new to the hobby. 50 gallons requires a considerable amount of work and planning to stabilize and manage. (Perhaps others will disagree - just my $0.02)

Edited by MNG
Additional comments