To MB or to not MB that is the question

Atitagain

Doing a breeding project of rummynose tetras have Indian almond leaves and adler cones in the tank, both have antifungal properties. Should I still use methylene blue? When they lay eggs.891AF3AF-43FB-4263-B70D-857E73B7B5B6.jpeg.8bcffd036b741dd1f4d1202d3251e160.jpeg

seems like overkill to me but wanna be careful at the same time. Also don’t wanna add meds if there’s no need.

• Like 1

If you plan on pulling the eggs, then yes MB is the way to go. The natural properties of Alder Cones and Indian Almond Leaves that provide anti fungal properties will be good enough to hold you over, but MB in the right concentration will halt any fungal growth, just don't over dose! 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, Atitagain said:

Doing a breeding project of rummynose tetras have Indian almond leaves and adler cones in the tank, both have antifungal properties. Should I still use methylene blue? When they lay eggs.891AF3AF-43FB-4263-B70D-857E73B7B5B6.jpeg.8bcffd036b741dd1f4d1202d3251e160.jpeg

seems like overkill to me but wanna be careful at the same time. Also don’t wanna add meds if there’s no need.

I’m ORD. This is so awesome!! If you do M-blue, use just a tiny bit. For my part, if I used anything, I’d prefer H2O2. I’d just use 1 ml / gallon of water every 12 hrs for 3x only. You may need to limit the light.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’m ORD. This is so awesome!! If you do M-blue, use just a tiny bit. For my part, if I used anything, I’d prefer H2O2. I’d just use 1 ml / gallon of water every 12 hrs for 3x only. You may need to limit the light.

The dreaded ORD, my constant state!  Good info about the H2O2.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:52 PM, Tihshho said:

If you plan on pulling the eggs, then yes MB is the way to go. The natural properties of Alder Cones and Indian Almond Leaves that provide anti fungal properties will be good enough to hold you over, but MB in the right concentration will halt any fungal growth, just don't over dose! 

Was planning on pulling parents leaving eggs, keeping tank as grow out, slowly raising water parameters to my show tank over next couple months

On 9/6/2021 at 8:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

ODR?

thanks for the info never heard of using H2O2 another thing to consider.

light is for pic only will mostly dark it out or use defused light during and especially after spawning 

Hrm, in that case you might be better off trying the H2O2 method @Fish Folk mentioned. I try to not to use MB in a tank just because it stains and it will kill off a lot of things I don't want it to. If you're pulling eggs, hatching them in say a Lee's specimen container, sure MB all the way. H2O2, which I don't have experience with will chemically just break down to water and oxygen, so there is less harm in the tank though it will kill off some beneficial bacteria if directly dosed to an area. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, Atitagain said:

ODR?

thanks for the info never heard of using H2O2 another thing to consider.

light is for pic only will mostly dark it out or use defused light during and especially after spawning 

"ORD" = Out of Reactions for the Day . . . not my acronym, but it's standard usage here on the Forum.

As with the M-blue, just don't overdose. Never squirt directly on the eggs. I always use an air stone too.  the Ziss never-clog airstones are weighted, so they sink to bottom.

• Thanks 2

On 9/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, Tihshho said:

Hrm, in that case you might be better off trying the H2O2 method @Fish Folk mentioned. I try to not to use MB in a tank just because it stains and it will kill off a lot of things I don't want it to. If you're pulling eggs, hatching them in say a Lee's specimen container, sure MB all the way. H2O2, which I don't have experience with will chemically just break down to water and oxygen, so there is less harm in the tank though it will kill off some beneficial bacteria if directly dosed to an area. 

Using MB in a specimen container, after hatching would I change out water until MB is gone then reintroduce to grow out?

im gonna do research on both methods in the morning 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:34 PM, Fish Folk said:

"ORD" = Out of Reactions for the Day . . . not my acronym, but it's standard usage here on the Forum.

As with the M-blue, just don't overdose. Never squirt directly on the eggs. I always use an air stone too.  the Ziss never-clog airstones are weighted, so they sink to bottom.

Again thanks, besides the 12”air stone in my 125G the never clogs are the only ones I use. Such a upgrade on something so simple.

• Like 1

I try to base things off drops, because a half drop isn't really quantifiable, and even a full drop will vary in volume. If it's a large specimen container I go for 2-3 drops depending on what eggs I have in there, or  1-2 on the smaller containers.

I've known some older aquarists who eyeball it by color, but that's a harder method to explain even with a video since the way you record it might throw off the actual color.

Edited by Tihshho

On 9/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, Tihshho said:

I try to base things off drops, because a half drop isn't really quantifiable, and even a full drop will vary in volume. If it's a large specimen container I go for 2-3 drops depending on what eggs I have in there, or  1-2 on the smaller containers.

I've known some older aquarists who eyeball it by color, but that's a harder method to explain even with a video since the way you record it might throw off the actual color.

I have a large container. Will go with 2 drops.

thank you