Hunter Felines

Streetwise

• 2 weeks later...

Not really hunting behavior but feline and food related. I want to share so everyone could start their week with a good solid belly laugh. 
The dangers of doing things when you are not yet caffeinated 🤣

Hubby leaves for work long before I wake up and gets the cat food from the pantry to feed them. I woke up to see this this morning.  🤣 no we don’t drink or do drugs so not hungover 🤣

15B0D40E-30E4-42B4-BC5C-86CB2F7F0B4A.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 5

On 6/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Not really hunting behavior but feline and food related. I want to share so everyone could start their week with a good solid belly laugh. 
The dangers of doing things when you are not yet caffeinated 🤣

Hubby leaves for work long before I wake up and gets the cat food from the pantry to feed them. I woke up to see this this morning.  🤣 no we don’t drink or do drugs so not hungover 🤣

15B0D40E-30E4-42B4-BC5C-86CB2F7F0B4A.jpeg

That’s exactly the kind of thing my hubby would do.  I once found the milk in the cabinet and the cereal box in the fridge!  Luckily I found the milk in time to save it.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:16 AM, Odd Duck said:

That’s exactly the kind of thing my hubby would do.  I once found the milk in the cabinet and the cereal box in the fridge!  Luckily I found the milk in time to save it.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 

I’m also a culprit of the fridge, cabinet, freezer storage confusion 🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Valcour just caught another chipmunk.

I’ve gotten wiser.

I heard the chirp from outside, and immediately shut the cat window. I turned on the outside light, ran outside, grabbed my cat, who spit out the chipmunk. It ran off.

Now he is complaining, and eating dry food, and I don’t have to exfiltrate a small animal.

• Like 2

I had a cat who sulked if you didn't appreciate his gifts. We lived on farm the gifts were often rats and rabbits - thankfully always dead.

But we had to play a game of big fuss thanking kitty and being interested in the copse then getting rid of it while he was distracted by breakfast.

Nearly planting your barefoot on fluffy dead thing before sun up is not something I miss about cat ownership.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 1:30 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I had a cat who sulked if you didn't appreciate his gifts. We lived on farm the gifts were often rats and rabbits - thankfully always dead.

But we had to play a game of big fuss thanking kitty and being interested in the copse then getting rid of it while he was distracted by breakfast.

Nearly planting your barefoot on fluffy dead thing before sun up is not something I miss about cat ownership.

I had one who would catch a baby rabbit, eat half, bring the other half into the house, then puke directly next to it. I was very glad when we moved to a house with AC and we could keep him inside.

He'd also bring us snakes, but they weren't dangerous ones. They'd play dead until you took them back outside and walked away.

My brother's cat at the time would bring in live birds and we'd have a heck of a time getting them back out of the house.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:34 PM, Guppysnail said:

My one cat lives to hunt down my frogs escapee feeder crickets. My other cat brought a live pigeon in the house off the porch and let it go in the house. 🤦‍♀️

How on earth were you able to to get the poor bird out?

Our neighbors cats (And Dog) find baby rabbits all over the place, they were all very unlucky.🤷🏼‍♀️

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’d like to report that Rosemary’s hunting is leveling up! This fall she caught a live vole. Instead of bringing in the house (yay) she was play-torturing it (yikes). I found myself trying to use the techniques I learned as an undergrad research intern to give the poor thing a quick death.

A few months later she actually caught and killed a vole and I was so extremely proud of her. ❤️😊

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Love reading everyone's chipmunk stories! Now I have to add mine. We had a deck that the chippies lived under. My son, who was about 7 at the time, thought it would be great to have a chipmunk friend. He shimmied under the deck and caught one, to this day I have no idea how. The problem was, he discovered, that he had nowhere to keep it safe. I found him rummaging around in the craft supplies but didn't think anything of it. Several days pass and I spy him casually coming down the stairs with a long ribbon in his hand and at the end of it was the chippie. He was pretty upset when I told him he had to let it go. We decided we needed to take care of the chippies under the deck and put out a have-a-heart trap. The next morning we found the chippie my son captured, still with a bow around its neck. My son said he did that just so he would recognize it if he saw it again. Took said chippie down to the local cemetery about 3 blocks away. For the next week that darn chippie was back in the trap. We finally took it to the county park to release, about 5 miles away. Never saw it after that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My cat had to have all of her teeth extracted two years ago right after I adopted her. She is also chubby, almost solid white, and has two bells on her collar to prevent predation. I would have thought she could not sneak up and catch any critter that wasn't already comatose. 

Therefore I was shocked when I saw her out in the garden repeatedly pouncing on and carrying something that appeared to be struggling free again and again, only to be pounced on and recaptured. 

It appeared to be pale yellow and I was afraid she had caught someone's stray budgie or maybe a goldfinch. I was already having 'Quite A Day' and did not want to go outside to face a mortally wounded or deceased bird, but...I also did not want my dogs to go out and find it. So, out I went, fear in my heart.

Only to find that her prey was a celery top I had tossed into the garden for our resident groundhog.

I guess it "struggling free" was her realizing "Ew, this is celery!" and dropping it, only to be enticed by the fluttering of the leaves when it fell. 

Improved my day dramatically 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 9:21 PM, Streetwise said:

DF880764-A34D-4D16-92E0-D01B57618ABB.jpeg.bf9f8678f8f2f6fe573acc869a0ef35a.jpeg

Valcour got a flea treatment today. He was very unhappy about the chemical drip on his neck. We had a nice cat nap later.

Oooh, the tragedy of having a smidgen of cool liquid on the back of the neck!  How dare you!  😂 🤣 

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:41 PM, Streetwise said:

I sympathize. I’m getting my cat to lick a bad-smelling substance to all the itchy spots. I don’t feel guilty, because the other options are a bath, or a flea dip.

As someone who has accidentally gotten a taste of most of the different brands of topical flea preventatives at some time or another over the years - none of them taste *that* bad after the alcohol carrier evaporates. Just FYI.  😝 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1