Hunter Felines

Streetwise

When I first got our kitty, I sprayed her with water every time she sniffed or batted an electrical cord. I do the same thing with the kittens I foster (if I develop enough of a bond with them that they won’t interpret the spray as “humans are evil and scary”). I have an old mac charger that I lay on the ground—unplugged of course!—and I play with them with a string nearby. Try to play with the cord? Squirt. Try to play with the string? Yay!

Doesn’t save their future owners’ shoelaces, but it’s better than getting electrocuted!

Kittens are a lot more prone to chewing on cords and things in general when they’re still teething. You can try to give Poof some plastic straws to chew on. Bonus is she’ll be able to carry them around! Cardboard boxes can also be good for chewing. It’s tough though—if I wanted to chew on something I’d totally pick co-op’s squishy airline tubing. 😄 

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, Hobbit said:

When I first got our kitty, I sprayed her with water every time she sniffed or batted an electrical cord. I do the same thing with the kittens I foster (if I develop enough of a bond with them that they won’t interpret the spray as “humans are evil and scary”). I have an old mac charger that I lay on the ground—unplugged of course!—and I play with them with a string nearby. Try to play with the cord? Squirt. Try to play with the string? Yay!

Doesn’t save their future owners’ shoelaces, but it’s better than getting electrocuted!

Kittens are a lot more prone to chewing on cords and things in general when they’re still teething. You can try to give Poof some plastic straws to chew on. Bonus is she’ll be able to carry them around! Cardboard boxes can also be good for chewing. It’s tough though—if I wanted to chew on something I’d totally pick co-op’s squishy airline tubing. 😄 

@Hobbit I will get some squirt guns. I have used squirt guns in the past to train cats. I found that after squirting them with water a few time for correction, they figured it out the sound real fast. After that, I could squirt the water away from the cat and it still worked. I could sit on the sofa on one side of the room and if they messed with the plants on the other side. I would squirt the floor by the sofa and they would leave the plants alone.  I did not need to be within range at all.

I also need to get some wind chimes to hang from the bird feeders. It alerts the cats that some interesting is going on at the bird feeder and they gallop through the house to see what is at the feeder. (indoor cats only) The birds don't seem to be bothered in the least. Cats will levitate up from a deep sleep, if the chimes sound like a squirrel is on the feeder.  Rather fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, KittenFishMom said:

@Odd Duck I was only joking about getting the cat a pump, hose, and stone. Cats have been training us for decades.  Maybe I could sew up a soft fabric air set out of fabric stuffed with catnip as a joke. I would not encourage the kitten to play with a real set.

I figured that, but too many people might take it as a true suggestion, so I wanted to just clarify.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, KittenFishMom said:

I also need to get some wind chimes to hang from the bird feeders. It alerts the cats that some interesting is going on at the bird feeder and they gallop through the house to see what is at the feeder. (indoor cats only) The birds don't seem to be bothered in the least. Cats will levitate up from a deep sleep, if the chimes sound like a squirrel is on the feeder.  Rather fun to watch.

Hilarious!! What a great idea!

On 1/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, Hobbit said:

Hilarious!! What a great idea!

@Hobbit Use different designed chimes for different windows so the cats know where the action is. I get small chimes at the dollar store, on clearance, so it is easier to fill the feeders. Windy days really confuse the cats.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is Barnaby, our predator cat. He will patiently wait all day at a gopher mound to catch his prey. He is a gopher death machine and catches more gophers than my husband can trap. We live next to a large field so there are plenty of gophers for Barnaby even with the Red-tailed Hawks constantly watching over the field too. I don't like him going after birds (Mourning doves, quail, chickadees, house sparrows and finches). Once he proudly came running home with a large magpie in his mouth. I was quite impressed he caught one and could fit it in his mouth!

IMG_6943.JPG.a0f6f3db8357f960f8a5ef0e9e039d0d.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

My cat caught a mouse one night and brought it up to my second floor bedroom and let it go on my bed.  I realized what happened when the mouse ran across the covers over my husband and me!😳

Here is a picture of another of my cats “window shopping”.

13451AB3-5B8D-4116-95A5-FA2BE0427F5D.jpeg

• Like 3

I had tamed some feral kittens and their mother years ago. They could come and go through a cat flap - mom Duchess and daughter Marie would stay out until almost sunrise. Marie started bringing in live birds and I never knew what I would find at the end of a busy day on campus. I got good at releasing grackles and starlings I'd find panting on my ceiling fans.

Marie's finest hour was the morning I awoke at 5am because she was pawing my chest... to hold down my half dead breakfast of field mouse! Lost her last summer at age 18, sweet girl.

Marie.jpg.cefad1ef4a8590dde3d6ec1205f27ce0.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl
added photo
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

On 3/7/2022 at 1:05 PM, AndreaW said:

This is Barnaby, our predator cat. He will patiently wait all day at a gopher mound to catch his prey. He is a gopher death machine and catches more gophers than my husband can trap.

Does Barnaby do house visits? I need a cat that can hunt moles…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 6:11 AM, Streetwise said:

650845A5-C4F3-4C9B-9FDE-96476B3A1C62.jpeg.091a7cfb5e06aafaef6ebbe6f0b9edad.jpeg

This can't be more than true. They love the towers for the first few hours when they are new, but mine will bail from the towers to go to boxes as soon as they get in the house. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bookie kills his “mouse” every day. 🤣 He also has a mouse on a string we play with. He will grab the mouse and walk me through the house. If I drop the string he stops and walks ver to drop it on my foot until I pick the string up…then he walks me around the house some more. 🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...