Hunter Felines

Streetwise

On 1/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

We have coyotes, great horned owls and fast drivers around here. I have had the chance to witness many a cat  complete it's journey on the circle of life. 9 times out of 10, it's not quick or pretty. I always tell people to keep their cats inside for those reasons. Generally most people that let their cats go outside don't care about the damage their pets do to the environment. 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, Odd Duck said:

Thank you!

I see waaaaayyyyy too much of the bad sides of letting pets roam uncontrolled.  I can definitively tell you that cats, and dogs, do NOT only stay in your yard.  Dogs may stay inside a fence, but cats don’t.  The cats, dogs, and the wildlife suffer for it in the long run.  Trust me, I’m too much of an expert on this subject after seeing it day after day at work.

I agree with both of you that 99.99% of cats are better off and safer indoors. 100% agree that wildlife benefits from cats not being allowed outdoors. 

We did train the cats and dogs on the farm to respect their collar and the invisible fence so they could keep our livestock safe from predators, and help keep the orchards grasshopper free.

My sister built an attached cattery so her kitty could go in and out, without having to worry about roads or killing of wildlife. 

• Like 2

I hate to be the guy that brings the rain to people's parade. It just feels that letting cats roam free and viewing their preying on wildlife positively.... runs counter to being pro nature. I fully understand that it is part of a cats nature to hunt. It's also part of my dogs nature too. Just like how dogs are expected to be contained and not indiscriminately hunt and kill other animals, I feel the same onus falls on cat owners. Because the impact cats have on an environment reaches farther than what they hunt and kill...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was fortunate enough to find a couple of double decker ferret cages on fb marketplace.  I set them up outside of two different windows of my house and built access bridges to each of them.  Now my cat can enjoy nature safely.  She still hunts flies and spiders in the house.  I've made it easier for reach them by hanging shelves high on the walls and building ladders for her to access them.  She's so helpful and loves to watch the fish with me.

Covered bridge with snow.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

Rheanne looks at snow.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 6

On 1/15/2022 at 9:58 PM, Hobbit said:

Beautiful setup! Did you make that pipe staircase yourself??

This is exactly what I was going to ask.  This goes directly on my Honey Do list.  Just sent the pics to my hubs.  We’ve talked about doing something like this several times and haven’t ever gotten around to it.  It’s past time.

• Like 4

On 1/15/2022 at 7:58 PM, Hobbit said:

@Hobbit; Thank you!  Yes.  I enjoy a variety of hobbies.  I like to build things to enhance my critters' experiences.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, Patrick_G said:

@smoore, the pipe stair and cat super highway is awesome! 

@Patrick_GThank you.  Rheanne really enjoys looking down on humans.  LOL!

On 1/15/2022 at 10:08 PM, Odd Duck said:

This is exactly what I was going to ask.  This goes directly on my Honey Do list.  Just sent the pics to my hubs.  We’ve talked about doing something like this several times and haven’t ever gotten around to it.  It’s past time.

@Odd DuckThank you!  Yes, I built it myself.  It's been so much fun watching her get the spiders from the vaulted ceilings.  I have trouble reaching that high with my swiffer.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:58 PM, Hobbit said:

Thank you!  Yes, I did.  It was a fun project.

Edited by smoore
  • Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 5:50 AM, Hobbit said:

@smoore oh wow! Can you give us a material’s list? 😄 

@Hobbit  I have a small cat (9 pounds).  Depending on the confidence of the cat, sizes may need to be adjusted.  The height you want to lift your cat will vary also.  I used;

Black 1/2 pipe from big box store

2 pipe flange

4 black screws (only two on each flange go into the stud in the wall, the other two are for aesthetics)

1 -2" nipple

1 - 3" nipple

6 -6" nipples

5 - 8" nipples

6 "T"s

8 - 90 degree elbows

1 -8 foot long pine board 1 by 12"

2 placemats from IKEA

varathane to seal the wood.

*I drew a pattern of the wood stairs onto the pine board and cut them out with a jigsaw (bandsaw would have been easier)

*drilled a hole for the pipe to go through the wooden step

*routed out the area for the traction (placemat cut into circles)

*sanded each step

*sealed wood with varathane

*glued the place mats into place

*put the ladder together while wiping the pipes down (they're dirty!  You can seal them if you want)

*mounted it to the studs on the wall using a stud finder

It took me awhile to build it, but I really enjoyed the process.

I've built her a few other ladders and she enjoys using them.  My goal is to give her enough exercise each day, that she will sleep through the night.  All treats and food are given up high.  She is only 3 years old and very active.  As she ages, I'll need to make it easier for her.  Right now this works.  I laugh when she uses the runway shelves high above me. The newest shelf that I built has a PVC pipe wrapped in jute as well as a fence to keep the treats from hitting the wall and landing on the floor.  I really prefer this type of shelf because it is much easier to toss the treats up to her and have them stay there.  LOL!

Cat ladder with iron pipes.jpg

new shelf.jpg

Rhea's new shelf.jpg

Rheanne on the aquarium.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 1/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@smoore funny. I feel bad for people who have cats like this. Neither of my boys do this to me. lol!

Mine used to do this.  Now I make sure she gets enough attention and exercise during the day and she sleeps soundly all night.

• Like 2

@smoore thank you so much!! My cat is 12 pounds and 10 years old so I’ll have to think about her capabilities. She has short legs and a long body, which doesn’t make her a great jumper. 😄 

She does get time outside almost every day (we have a fenced in yard, I keep an eye on her and often go out with her, and she wears a tracking collar). That time outside makes a big difference when it comes to night time whining.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, Hobbit said:

@smoore thank you so much!! My cat is 12 pounds and 10 years old so I’ll have to think about her capabilities. She has short legs and a long body, which doesn’t make her a great jumper. 😄 

She does get time outside almost every day (we have a fenced in yard, I keep an eye on her and often go out with her, and she wears a tracking collar). That time outside makes a big difference when it comes to night time whining.

They love nature.  I think fresh air helps all of us sleep better. 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, lefty o said:

i laugh at my mother. she has had cats for lots of years, but also has a bird feeder out in front of the house. well dont ya know a bird feeder is a great place for a cat to hunt birds. mom rants and raves, and screams at the cats for killing the birds. well what do you expect.🤣

@lefty o If you can do it with a straight face, suggest her put a few mothballs under a mat where the cats wait for the birds. The cats won't hang out there. You can put them in punctured bags or punctured plastic jars with some stones to keep them in place. Keep them  shaded, or they sublime too fast, and people can smell them.

A friend who was afraid of cats had a cat napping on her doormat all the time. I sprayed a "cat deterrent" all over the bottom on the mat, so it would last a while. The cat was not hurt or seen again.

@Streetwise May parents cat loved to bring in snakes(I think he like hearing my dad scream).For Dad's birthday, I gave them a broom and dustpan with a long hinged handle. Mom could sweep the snake(or other "gifts") into the dust pan. and lift the handle and the animal was in the dark and calmed down, and could not get out until she set it down outside.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Streetwise thank you for bringing all of us so much joy.

This thread is fabulous!

@smoore & @Hobbit my tuxedo decided he owned my (now spouse) partner when we first started dating. 

He would sleep on her shoes so she couldn't leave, and would sleep on her chest every time she was having lung issues [we were a little slow, and my spouse got really sick several times before we made the connection).

Really miss my kitties....

The videos were a riot, thank you!

• Love 3

Dear Feline Loving Nerms:

My kitten has started hunting air hoses. He loves the bit of humming vibration. He has pulled my small air pump off a shelf 3 or 4 times. Sometimes he even pulls the hose out of a sponge filter. As far as I know he has not punctured a hose, yet.

It took us a long time to pick the right name for the little guy. We finally settled on "Poof!!". You are eating dinner, and suddenly, "Poof!!" your hamburger has disappeared from your plate like magic. You are sleeping soundly when suddenly "Poof!!" a little paw has turned off the CPAP machine. You hear a klunking sound and "Poof !!" the steak bone cooling on the counter is bouncing on the wood floor with a kitten chewing on it. You get the idea. He is a wonderfully resourceful magical kitten. My mom always said "Creative children create messes, can't have one without the other". I would have to says Proof!! is one of the most creative creature I have ever meet.

Has anyone else ever had a kitten fascinated with live air hose? Aside from keeping him busy with other things, What can I do?

• Haha 3

On 1/25/2022 at 1:11 PM, KittenFishMom said:

My kitten has started hunting air hoses. He loves the bit of humming vibration. He has pulled my small air pump off a shelf 3 or 4 times. Sometimes he even pulls the hose out of a sponge filter. As far as I know he has not punctured a hose, yet.

It took us a long time to pick the right name for the little guy. We finally settled on "Poof!!". You are eating dinner, and suddenly, "Poof!!" your hamburger has disappeared from your plate like magic. You are sleeping soundly when suddenly "Poof!!" a little paw has turned off the CPAP machine. You hear a klunking sound and "Poof !!" the steak bone cooling on the counter is bouncing on the wood floor with a kitten chewing on it. You get the idea. He is a wonderfully resourceful magical kitten. My mom always said "Creative children create messes, can't have one without the other". I would have to says Proof!! is one of the most creative creature I have ever meet.

Has anyone else ever had a kitten fascinated with live air hose? Aside from keeping him busy with other things, What can I do?

I had a prior incarnation of Poof.

Except add electrical cords, and 3 vet visits for partial electrocution. Vet was positive the first shock would be a sufficient deterrent... not so.

Bitter apple and all the other deterrents were treated like crack... I finally resorted to running all cords and airline tubes through pvc pipe so Mao Tzu couldn't chew.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Not air hose, but plenty of other things.  When I did far more gardening I had to build a cage around my seed starter shelves.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:34 PM, Streetwise said:

@KittenFishMom, maybe you need to buy him his own nano air pump, tubing, and air stone!

I’d recommend against this one since it would teach him it’s OK to chew on airline.  😝 

On 1/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, Torrey said:

I had a prior incarnation of Poof.

Except add electrical cords, and 3 vet visits for partial electrocution. Vet was positive the first shock would be a sufficient deterrent... not so.

Bitter apple and all the other deterrents were treated like crack... I finally resorted to running all cords and airline tubes through pvc pipe so Mao Tzu couldn't chew.

This is a real concern since the rubbery airline is close to electrical cord texture.  I would start covering or wrangling cords and airlines as much as possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1