Crypt removal

I have a crypt that is starting to take over and crowd part of my tank. I’m just wanting to remove it but don’t really want to disturb my substrate since it’s been in the tank for 5 months. Could I cut the crypt at substrate level leaving the roots intact without having any issues from the roots decaying? 

image.jpg

• Love 1

On 9/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, Tinyfellows said:

I have a crypt that is starting to take over and crowd part of my tank. I’m just wanting to remove it but don’t really want to disturb my substrate since it’s been in the tank for 5 months. Could I cut the crypt at substrate level leaving the roots intact without having any issues from the roots decaying? 

image.jpg

Oof… I don’t know… often, rooted plants balance above-substrate leaf growth with below-substrate root growth. If you’ve ever pulled out an established Bronze Crypt… it’s epic!

My suggestion would be… leave it! I think it looks stunning!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Fish Folk. Moving an established Crypt makes a mess, it's why in my tanks, none of which are nice displays like yours, I pot mine. The root structure of a Crypt will go throughout the substrate in the tank. You might have 18" plus of roots on a very established plant like the one pictured. Pulling it will inevitably make a mess, as for cutting it at the base, I'd be concerned about the roots rotting in the substrate and causing gas pockets. Your best choice is to leave it, otherwise you'll have to prepare for a cleanup job.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, Tinyfellows said:

image.jpg

That Crypt is beeeautiful!  It has far more visual impact than the dwarf hair grass ever will.  It for sure will drag a bunch of substrate around like others mentioned.  Those roots probably cover half that tank!  Just trim off a leaf here or there as needed, like you decided.  If you ever do decide to pull it up, . . . DIBS!  😆 😉 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 5:51 PM, Tinyfellows said:

Thanks guys. I think I will leave it and just trim any leaves that cover my attempted dwarf hair grass carpet 

Honestly, if you want a solid hairgrass carpet, pull the hairgrass and start another display. Then you get the best of both worlds 😃

• 3 months later...