Help source Amazon frogbit in Seattle area

On 9/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, legion1capone said:

Looking to purchase my first floating plants for my 10 gal tank. Does anyone know where I can locally source Amazon frogbit?

You’re probably like 20-30 minutes from the ACO brick and mortar store.  I’m completely jealous you’re so close to them.  Even though they don’t have it on the website there’s a fair chance they have it in store.  Call them.  Besides, you want to go to the lfs anyway, don’t you?

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

Dwarf water lettuce is cool because of the long roots that hang in the water column. They might have some at AC

I will get some when I setup my 29 gallon but didn't want to much hanging down in my 10 gallon. I will have soon soon though. 

Edited by legion1capone

On 9/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s  not as prolific as some but next summer you’ll be begging people to take it away! 😀 

I gave away at least a gallon of red root floaters just last week.  It came from only 3 tanks.  It had gotten a little ahead of me, especially in one of my 10 gallons.  Also gave away a couple quarts of frogbit to the same lady (she has a fish rescue and took a ton of those darn Jack Dempsey fry off my hands).  I’ve already got enough red roots to give away close to another quart.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

I gave away at least a gallon of red root floaters just last week.  It came from only 3 tanks.  It had gotten a little ahead of me, especially in one of my 10 gallons.  Also gave away a couple quarts of frogbit to the same lady (she has a fish rescue and took a ton of those darn Jack Dempsey fry off my hands).  I’ve already got enough red roots to give away close to another quart.

Are you in the Seattle area?

On 9/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

I gave away at least a gallon of red root floaters just last week.  It came from only 3 tanks.  It had gotten a little ahead of me, especially in one of my 10 gallons.

@Odd Duck so jealous, my red root floaters end up with some of the leaves sinking under the water and then getting algae on them...can't get them to take off like I want them to 😐

On 9/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, DebSills said:

@Odd Duck so jealous, my red root floaters end up with some of the leaves sinking under the water and then getting algae on them...can't get them to take off like I want them to 😐

Have you given them a nice corral?  I use double diameter silicone tubing - 3/8” (instead of standard 3/16” airline tubing) that I get from Amazon.  It holds them better and calms the water surface better.  They will eventually form enough of a mat they no longer need a ring but I like to keep a good amount of surface open, so . . .

They also don’t like a lot of spatter on the surface, so I try to corral them at least a little ways away from any air operated anything including sponge filters.  They like humidity but not condensation dripping.  They’ve been happiest for me in a tank that is moderately to tightly covered as long as there is still some air circulation.  They really like my cubes that are fully covered but have a very thin gap all the way around the glass so they don’t get excessive condensation.

I got so many in one of my 10 gallons they formed a dense mat but spots were molding where they were against the glass (they piled up thick!).  I’ve found when I’m adding them to a new tank, they do better if a good bunch are added at once, vs adding just a few.  When I’ve added just a few, they take forever to fill in.  When I add a bunch at once, they’re ready for thinning in just a week or so. Add 5, it takes 5-6 weeks before they need thinned.  Add 10, they need thinned in 2 weeks.  It’s not fully logical, but it’s true.  They grow better with friends helping them.  A little ironic parable for life, I think!