Hi There-Thanks for letting me in!

dmurray407

I've had aquariums for years and have never really paid much attention to my water parameters (and my fish really have done OK most of the time). I retired last year so now have lots of time to keep my aquarium the way it should be.  I have a 60 gallon aquarium with some Rainbow fish, a few tetras and some clown loaches.  I'm thinking of rehoming my clown loaches so I can get some cory's instead. (My granddaughter is a huge aquarium fan and will gladly take my clowns if I decide to do that.) I'm also setting up a little 10 gal quarantine tank for when I get new fish-we had kind of a disaster a few years ago and killed off most of our fish by not quarantining. I'm having a heck of a time getting my water cycled in the new tank, but it's slowly getting there. I tried some Fritz-zyme 7 (beneficial bacteria) to speed up my cycle, but it didn't really do much-I got it from Amazon and I think it probably wasn't stored correctly in a warehouse 🙂 I love my aquarium and am looking forward to fixing it up and keeping some happy, healthy fish!

IMG_3439.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome, nice looking tank! An easy way to cycle a quarantine tank is to set up a filter (sponge is cheap and effective) in the old tank and then transfer it over when you need to quarantine. As long as the sponge is rated for the bioload you’re adding to the quarantine it’ll work well. 
I currently have three extra sponge filters cycling in my main tank because who knows when a new tank might follow me home😀

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum! Large Rainbows are definitely a fun species to have! Looks like there are just two males in there, if you want to see the full spectrum of their color flashing, see if you can get and QT some females for them.

Edited by Tihshho
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 3:16 PM, Tihshho said:

Welcome to the forum! Large Aussie Rainbows are definitely a fun species to have! Looks like there are just two males in there, if you want to see the full spectrum of their color flashing, see if you can get and QT some females for them.

Thanks!  I knew they were Rainbow Fish, but didn't know what kind. I've had them for a few years-got them originally from Foster and Smith when they did live fish. It was kind of "you get what you get".  I will look around for some females-any good suggestions besides my local fish store?

The species you have look like Glossolepis Incisus which go by either Irian Jaya Red Rainbows or Red Irian Rainbows. I had to correct my original post as I said Aussie which was incorrect. 

I'm not familiar off the top of my head of online vendors that carry these specifically, but if you look around you'll find them. 

• Like 1