Yellow Dots on Rainbow Cichlid's eye

GGobblin

My newly acquired Rainbow Cichlid came with 2 yellow spots in right eye. Eye isn't swollen and other eye is fine. He us eating and behaving pretty normal except for those dots. Think they are a parasite of some kind. They have not changed in size or appearance over the last 2 weeks of treatment with Maracyn and Paracleanse. Was thinking of trying salt, 1 TBLSP per Gallon but not sure if that dosage is strong enough, but not lethal, or if it will even help. Nothing has helped thus far, and I'm hesitant to put him in my main tank as he is. Anyone see this before, have ideas ? 

Pics attached

GG

20210902_160925.jpg

20210902_161047.jpg

20210902_161051.jpg

the only parasite I can think of that effect eye are eye flukes but they can be seen moving around in your fish's eye and don't cause the yellow spots  i haven't seen this before for but don't think it caused by a parasite I would treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 1 week and monitor him it could be damage to the eye and that's why it has developed the yellow spots can't say for sure will look in my disease book when I get time

Edited by Colu

On 9/7/2021 at 12:55 AM, laritheloud said:

Is it possibly viral lymphocystis? It looks like a growth, tumor, or cyst of some sort. What do you think, @Colu?

I don't think it's lymphocystis I haven't seen yellow growths like this  on the eyes before you would expect more intrusion into the eye if it we're a tumor  not sure with this one will have to look in my disease books when I get time

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, GGobblin said:

My newly acquired Rainbow Cichlid came with 2 yellow spots in right eye. Eye isn't swollen and other eye is fine. He us eating and behaving pretty normal except for those dots. Think they are a parasite of some kind. They have not changed in size or appearance over the last 2 weeks of treatment with Maracyn and Paracleanse. Was thinking of trying salt, 1 TBLSP per Gallon but not sure if that dosage is strong enough, but not lethal, or if it will even help. Nothing has helped thus far, and I'm hesitant to put him in my main tank as he is. Anyone see this before, have ideas ? 

Pics attached

GG

20210902_160925.jpg

20210902_161047.jpg

20210902_161051.jpg

Does it raise the margin of the skin where it meets the clear cornea of the eye itself?

The 2 dots themselves are raised, not the eye itself, doesn't even seem cloudy. When I look at him head on I can see they protrude a bit. 1st thought it was a fungus of some sort. Still might be, who knows. Have not treated with anything but Maracyn and Paracleanse. I'm hesitant to add him to my Cichlid main tank.  Don't want to put any of my treasured fish in jeopardy. 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:04 PM, GGobblin said:

The 2 dots themselves are raised, not the eye itself, doesn't even seem cloudy. When I look at him head on I can see they protrude a bit. 1st thought it was a fungus of some sort. Still might be, who knows. Have not treated with anything but Maracyn and Paracleanse. I'm hesitant to add him to my Cichlid main tank.  Don't want to put any of my treasured fish in jeopardy. 

If you look at the skin around the eye, is the skin margin raised above these lumps?  I can’t quite tell from your photos (don’t worry, I fully understand how difficult it is to get good photos of fish).  If the skin margin is raised over them, it would make me more suspicious for possible parasites.  They are so equal in size, color, shape, etc, that a mass is less likely.

I would probably risk some Paracleanse since it’s pretty safe.  If these drop off, make certain to do your best to find and kill them (drop them into a container of rubbing alcohol) since some parasites could drop off but not be killed.  Paracleanse should kill them if they are some type of fluke, which would be my first suspicion.

If they drop off and you can find them and drop them in alcohol, I would like the chance to get them under a microscope if you could send them to me.  There’s probably a couple others that would probably like to get their hands on them, too, if they do drop off after treatment with Paracleanse.

• Thanks 1

Just do the levamisole and see what happens.  It usually works fast if it’s going to work.  Don’t forget to do a water change removing as much mulm and debris as possible and do a black out on the tank for 24 hours.  I’m not convinced the blackout is completely necessary since it acts pretty fast, but that’s what is recommended.

Edited by Odd Duck

On 9/6/2021 at 11:28 PM, GGobblin said:

Will do. How long does he sit in the meds. Is it a one time dose, or a few days then redose after partial water change ?

Water change (50-60% is recommended) removing debris that could bind and inactivate the meds, dose, lights out, then 24 hours later another large water change removing debris because there could be parasites/eggs in the debris after dosing.  Repeat weekly for 3 doses, then another single dose 2 weeks later if you’re aiming at intestinal parasites (pea puffers have taught me so much).

If these 2 lumps are parasites, I would expect them to be gone, most likely within an hour, but almost certainly within 24 hours if the levamisole is going to work.