Corys and dwarf chain loaches in same tank?

Nanci B

Hi all, 

soon I will be setting up a 75 gallon planted tank with nano fish. I love dwarf chain loaches and am looking forward to finally having a large school of them. But I also have 5 Venezuelan corys in a smallish 20 long and I feel they need more space, plus I would love to see if they might breed in the 75. 

Both of these species mostly inhabit the bottom of the tank, although the dwarf chain loaches tend to use the whole water column. 

can I have a good sized school of each that will be happy in the same 75 gallon? 

TIA!

On 9/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, Nanci B said:

Hi all, 

soon I will be setting up a 75 gallon planted tank with nano fish. I love dwarf chain loaches and am looking forward to finally having a large school of them. But I also have 5 Venezuelan corys in a smallish 20 long and I feel they need more space, plus I would love to see if they might breed in the 75. 

Both of these species mostly inhabit the bottom of the tank, although the dwarf chain loaches tend to use the whole water column. 

can I have a good sized school of each that will be happy in the same 75 gallon? 

TIA!

I don’t know why you couldn’t have both, they should get along just fine, but it’s unlikely that you’ll have cory babies survive with any loaches in the tank.  It’s hard enough to get them to survive when it’s just cories in the tank.  If you want to breed your cories, they’re better staying in the 20 and pull out eggs to raise separately.

• Like 1

Sorry about the double post earlier!  I was using my phone and it did something weird.  I had my Corys breed when they were in quarantine.  After I pulled the adults out, I got a couple surprise fry.  They've also spawned in my big tank, and it wasn't the loaches that prevented them from surviving--it was the corys who went back and ate every single egg they'd laid.  I'd agree that you want to pull the eggs if you see them 🙂 

For me, the corys and loaches totally ignore each other.  Every now and then the loaches get ornery and decide to nip a guppy, but usually they just swim around in a pack doodling around in the plants and rocks.

The chain loaches will spend a lot of time off the bottom. Also they do better in larger groups and I would get at least 10 more the better. They are a bit pricey though. As to coexisting. The problem with some cory is the dwarf chain are hyper active and some of the shier cory might be a bit intimidated but the aeneus are bricks and i doubt they would care much. I have not kept the two together; but i do have some sterbai with the more passive zebra loaches as well as giant clown loaches.

-

A purist will indicate that loaches and cory should be kept apart and certainly the larger loaches such as yoyo and clown are quite capable of bullying if push came to shove but that is not your question.

Edited by anewbie