Cory eggs

RyanU

It looks like I have a bunch of Corydoras eggs scattered throughout my tank on the glass and some on my plants. All total it looks like 7 groups. What should I do with them to help survival. Can I scrape them of the glass and plants and lay them in a breeder box? Or should I just leave them be and let nature run its course20210904_181127.jpg.e079c9ff740dbe9ff8ab8e1518d0225b.jpg20210904_181116.jpg.28195c49e77747f7959df22a9b3acc27.jpg

• Like 1

Never bred corys before but in my opinion, do you want a lot of babies? Or do you want,none will probably make it if you have fish in there? To increase likely hood, scrape and place in breeder box I’ve seen dean and Cory just use a specimen container with an air stone. 
Or was this just a voting question? In that case I say make babies, lots of them!

On 9/4/2021 at 6:40 PM, RyanU said:

It was more of a question of if I could and should scrape them of and set them in a breeder box.  I am going to attempt to scrape them off and raise them. Any suggestions on what to watched for and how long they will take you hatch.  @Atitagaintheme for the response

👍not really sure about the details I’ve only done enough research on corys to be comfortable to keep them. I’m in middle of another project right now then salt and pepper corys are next on my list to breed.

Theres a couple threads on here lately about how to with corys. What type of corys do you have? that will help when smarter people than I come along to help. I have the salt and pepper and in another tank some peppered corys.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:40 PM, RyanU said:

It was more of a question of if I could and should scrape them of and set them in a breeder box.  I am going to attempt to scrape them off and raise them. Any suggestions on what to watched for and how long they will take you hatch.  @Atitagaintheme for the response

You can just roll them off the leaf with your finger. Ideally, you'd like to set these up in a hatching container outside of the main tank with water flow, heat and so that you can add some methylene blue to prevent fungusing over. I've not had success without methylene blue, but I'm fairly sure plenty of others have.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, Tihshho said:

You can just roll them off the leaf with your finger. Ideally, you'd like to set these up in a hatching container outside of the main tank with water flow, heat and so that you can add some methylene blue to prevent fungusing over. I've not had success without methylene blue, but I'm fairly sure plenty of others have.

Hatching container? Do you mean 5-10G tank, specimen container, or just a bucket as long as you can heat, get flow (with aeration?)

On 9/4/2021 at 7:27 PM, Atitagain said:

Hatching container? Do you mean 5-10G tank, specimen container, or just a bucket as long as you can heat, get flow (with aeration?)

Ideally something clear so you can check on the status of the eggs. For other Cory species, I've rolled the eggs off whatever they were on and rolled them (they stick!) to the glass and put an air stone near them to keep up with flow. Make sure to space the eggs so that any infertile or weak eggs that fungus do not spread to the other eggs, and when you see white eggs (dead eggs) you can easily remove them to keep up with them to make sure fungus doesn't take hold of the rest. 

5-10 gallon tank would be plenty to hatch them, just be sure to have water on hand to do water changes to take out the methylene blue after 24 hours (tops) and you're set. Some people are ok with doing water changes on eggs and fry with tap, YMMV so if you know your tap water and have had success with eggs in the past you should be ok with it, if you're new to hatching eggs and raising fry go through and pull water from the parents tank to do the water change. The main tank and their inhabitants should be more than OK with tap water if that's what you've been using for water changes. Again, this process all depends on you knowing whats in your water and/or constantly keeping an eye on your source water as it's not always consistent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tihshho thank you for all the advice. I will get some methelyne blue today. Hopefully my lfs has that. As for the tank, should I just go clear bottom with an air stone and sponge filter or Just an air stone. Also how long should the eggs take to hatch. Being new i have no idea hour long that is supposed to take and don't really know what to look for for signs of infertility in the eggs. 

Thank you

On 9/5/2021 at 7:02 AM, RyanU said:

@Tihshho thank you for all the advice. I will get some methelyne blue today. Hopefully my lfs has that. As for the tank, should I just go clear bottom with an air stone and sponge filter or Just an air stone. Also how long should the eggs take to hatch. Being new i have no idea hour long that is supposed to take and don't really know what to look for for signs of infertility in the eggs. 

Thank you

Methylene blue right now is semi out of production by a lot of manufacturers, or so I hear. Last time I went into my LFS and saw a shelf full of bottles I grabbed a bunch just in case. MB will last you for years, so a handful of bottles for most would be a lifetime of meds in this hobby.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Tihshho said:

Methylene blue right now is semi out of production by a lot of manufacturers, or so I hear. Last time I went into my LFS and saw a shelf full of bottles I grabbed a bunch just in case. MB will last you for years, so a handful of bottles for most would be a lifetime of meds in this hobby.

I just got a new bottle of kordon 2 weeks ago on amazon has it in stock now

Fungus can show up in hours depending on many variables. Some people have luck without using MB, I personally don't. I've had the odd fry grow up with the parents and not know about it till I saw a baby Cory, but if you're after a strong yield of healthy babies MB is the way to go.

I've just left it all alone every now and then I see a  👶 over the years I guess may 10 or so have grown I have a 55gal with about 20 now and a big fat monster mommy dropping eggs all the time.  I put them here and there as a clean up crew. Nothing special Nothing fancy just 🐈 😻 🐈‍⬛ 😺 🐱 😸 🐈 😻 

I scraped them off and set them in a breeder box with some filter materiel as the bottom so they can't get out of they hatch. I can zoom in on the eggs and see something inside. If I stare long enough they eventually move. Should they be moving constantly? 

Also when and if they hatch what should I feed them. I don't have the equipment to hatch baby brine shrimp although I think that would be cool. Can I go frozen baby brine or do I need something they moves to stimulate them to chase an eat 

Sera Micron has worked for me in the past, but nothing tops feeding BBS when you can. If you plan on doing future breeding live BBS is hard to beat. Frozen and jarred BBS is available on the market, but sometimes it's not as readily eaten by young since the movement of the live BBS is what gets their attention.

On 9/6/2021 at 5:47 PM, RyanU said:

What about some sort of micro worm. I will call my lfs tomorrow and see if they have live bbs. 

This is an option. Just be sure to keep up with decent water changes as if you're pulling from a culture and accidently get some of their media in the tank it's going to cause either a bacterial bloom, ammonia spike or both. BBS is just safer if you've never used micro worms before.

If your LFS carries either BBS or micro worms keep them in business. Stores that carry this kind of stuff are few and far between.

Just an update for everybody who has been helping me. I checked this morning and some of the eggs have hatched. 

Because I am new to this I have a few more questions. 

When will they start to actively swim around?Some will swim for like a second and then rest on the filter pad on the bottom. Others I can see just moving their fins if I zoom in with my camera. 

Also if my lfs doesn't have live bbs or micro worms will Frozen work with maybe adding some garlic to it to entice them to eat?