Ph 8.0 safe?

k0olmini

Posted previously with a more septic question, this omission just more generalized. I’ve seen online that ph ranges of 6.8-8.0 is safe for fish. My tap water is coming about 8.0. I know it depends on the species of fish, but in general is that range fairly accurate? My tank appears to be doing okay but I’m just worried I’m slowly killing my fish without knowing it 

As a general rule that is about right but as you mentioned it depends on the type of fish. There's also other factors that will make a difference to the PH the fish will tolerate eg water they were bred in. If you feel that you want/need to lower your PH you can try some of the plant substrates, almond tree leaves or bark are also an option although won't be by much. KH and GH are more important in my opinion. 

Isn’t it more of fluctuating PH that would be a sign of a big problem? That can mess with the fish stress and what not.

I know certain fish can’t do this PH or can’t do that PH but almost all aquarium fish if introduced to their new environment correctly will adapt?

On 9/4/2021 at 5:21 PM, Atitagain said:

Isn’t it more of fluctuating PH that would be a sign of a big problem? That can mess with the fish stress and what not.

I know certain fish can’t do this PH or can’t do that PH but almost all aquarium fish if introduced to their new environment correctly will adapt?

Fluctuating pH is not a problem. Osmotic fluctuation is where problems begin. This is why maintaining consistent GH and KH numbers is a priority. Even then, GH and KH certainly fluctuate in natural habitats. 

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 7:12 PM, KaitieG said:

My PH is 8.0-8.2, and I have many fish doing very well--betta, tetras, corys, angelfish, various livebearers, loaches, etc..  As others have mentioned, ammonia is something to watch carefully at the higher PHs, but otherwise, I think you're okay!

Yep, this is my experience, as well. I run both low and high tech tanks, fish do equally well in both.

RE: fluctuating pH, it's not exactly a 'problem' (in planted tanks specifically) in isolation, but the cause of pH fluctuation can be a really big issue for fish -- like fluctuating parameters (gH/kH/ammonia/nitrite). If the latter changes too rapidly, that will have an obvious effect on pH. Take changing pH as a sign of some chemical process happening in your tank. If you don't inject your tanks with CO2, then it might be worth further investigation as to why it's happening and how you can stabilize it.

I don't micromanage my gh/kh in my tanks, but I do track parameters regularly and change the around 30-50% of the water in my tanks every week. I use regular ol' tap water which runs around 7.8 pH or so out of the tap (8 to 8.2 in my 29 gallon, around 8 in my 10 gallon, 7.8 in my 55 gallon), stable kh/gh both at around 10 to 12 degrees via titration test kits. I've had no obvious issues keeping my tetras, gouramis, cories, etc. in this water.

I've heard some arguments that fish may live shorter lives if kept in water that doesn't match their evolutionary home (internal crystals/deposits if fish from acidic water is kept in alkaline water), but I can't say I know whether this is noticeable in the home aquarium with most safe sources of water within a reasonable range (6 to 8 ph), or whether it has a real effect on a fish's quality of life. 

If you want to play it safe just choose fish that you know will do well in your water, because every species has different needs. I choose to stay away from sensitive fish that need to live in an acidic environment to thrive, such as German Blue Rams, Samurai Gourami, Chocolate Gouramis. But aside from that? It still leaves you with a ton of wonderful fish to keep, and most common tropical fish won't have problems.