Discus-ion Misc Rambling, Feeding

Fish Folk

Well, a few days back my Discus pair ate their eggs despite leaving their lights on low.

SO… a little DIY here…

1B7B5545-8AC5-4038-A4FD-E5B66A7233A6.jpeg.f7120ff1b078d407cf881a78dd02bb5c.jpeg

1A71FBD3-3E21-430A-8CAB-7982435417DA.jpeg.cdfa54b2e1c564706c5ab01b4a3fbd61.jpeg

Unless something dramatic changes, they’ll spawn again in a few weeks. This will be ready to shelter the eggs until they hatch.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 5:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

Well, a few days back my Discus pair ate their eggs despite leaving their lights on low.

SO… a little DIY here…

Unless something dramatic changes, they’ll spawn again in a few weeks. This will be ready to shelter the eggs until they hatch.

As I read through this thread, I was rushing to get to the end so I could suggest the plastic netting! LOL!

First off, congratulations on getting your discus to this point! It's an awesome feeling when such a beautiful & valuable fish is ready to move on to this next phase in their life.

Are you 100% sure that you have a male & a female spawning? It's a common occurrence for two young females to lay eggs in a spawning behavior. The next time they're at it, try to get as close of a look as possible that their vents are different (round female & pointy male). I've attached example images from 2013, when 2 of my females were spawning together, with their vents exposed.

The snails could be an issue for the eggs. It's kind of a catch 22 in your situation, because good parents should be able to keep the snails away, but you currently need the mesh to prevent the parents from eating their own eggs. Hopefully it will all work itself out. I was only successful by letting everyone continue to spawn in the community tank until the first time I saw wigglers, then I moved the pair to a bare bottom 20H with a sponge filter & a breeding cone for their next spawn. I had one pair that  needed the mesh around the cone to protect the eggs from the parents, and the other pairs were fine without the mesh.

As to water parameters, I had the community aquarium at 82, & the spawning tanks at 84. My pH was 7.4 in the sponge filter bare bottom 20H breeding tanks. It was stable around 6.2 in the community tank, but that had some crushed coral in one of the canister filters, because it was a "high tech" planted with CO2. The hardness? Well, let's just call it liquid rock. If you use the Aquarium Co-op test strips, my water reads more purple than 300.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

IMG_20130525_195213_665.jpg

IMG_20130525_195232_788.jpg

Edited by Tazalanche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Tazalanche — you’re absolutely right, lots of possibilities here. Might not be a pair… snails could be an issue…

I _think_ they are a pair though, because the eggs clearly are _mostly_ fertile.

The snails are a concern. I know it’s possible to hatch and raise discus fry away from their parents, but I’ve heard horror stories about those fry being terrible parents once matured.

Will keep things posted! I have definitely considered setting up bare-bottom tanks.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 9:35 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Still no babies huh?

Noooo …. 😔

My water chemistry is too rich in here to make that likely. Long story, but I’ve sold two and lost two in the last month. Someday I’ll decide to breed discus. But ‘til then, its just a watching tank for me. 

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 10:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

@Twood @Shadow Took a few shots of my Discus tank after a WC this eve. Just keeping 4x in this 55 gal. now with Rams & BNPs. They have really grown over time! I guess the blue-theme runs strong in this group. I do miss the red ones though … 

IMG_3097.jpeg.a9dd98b1ef1ce003521a72eba3b3145d.jpeg

IMG_3087.jpeg.5fcd60c3f355e74de47bf5f59d0467f2.jpeg

IMG_3079.jpeg.04df19668ced049bfe5ebf2d0e7e8d58.jpeg

What happened to the red ones? Also, this looks fantastic! 👏

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 11:19 PM, Shadow said:

What happened to the red ones? Also, this looks fantastic! 👏

I sold the Melon and three Pidgeon Bloods awhile ago. I just wasn't getting breeding pairs. Now I keep these just for fun. I've had to come to terms with the reality that unless I'm willing to run R.O. system, dedicate hundreds of gallons to breeding and grow-out, I'll never be breeding Discus. Lots of drama . . . I just keep them for fun now. Some people keep goldfish (very pretty!) but I prefer Discus as sort of "wet-pets." 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...