Discus-ion Misc Rambling, Feeding

Fish Folk

Discus will spawn and lay eggs in harder water, but the eggs need the softer water to develop and hatch out. When I bred them years ago, I would raise them and let them pair off in my tap water , which was moderate hard, then, I would move the pairs to a separate tank and use a mix of RO and tap water for them to spawn and raise the babies in. I have some wild Heckels right now that I keep in my tap well water that is quite hard, and plan to do the same thing if I notice any pairs forming, but since they are wild I may have to do the mixed water thing to get them to spawn, I am going to wait and see for now, and if I don't get any signs of pairing off or breeding behavior by next summer, I will mix in some RO water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Though you say they are crowded (I believe you), most of them seem to really like sitting there looking at each other. I saw the red/blue poke at the blue one at least a couple of times are they saying something you can translate? Both males or females?

As they continue to grow, they probably need more space to be really comfortable. Cichlids are interesting. They often behave better in larger groups, Discus will school in a huge aquarium -- especially if they've grown up together in a family. Im trying to figure out whether I can get any decent pairs to breed together. I have no ideas about who is a male or who is a female. None at all. No clue... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...