Jump to content

Discus-ion Misc Rambling, Feeding


Fish Folk
 Share

Recommended Posts

All of that is completely doable except the soft water.  I would have to heavily dilute with R/O water to even get close to soft and I currently do not have the space for an R/O Storage tank.

All of my water sources both tap and Well have moderately hard water.  TDS of 200+ I'm guessing from our previous discussions, that they could (if gotten small enough) adapt to that water but they probably never breed in it.  What are your thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 2:33 PM, ARMYVET said:

All of that is completely doable except the soft water.  I would have to heavily dilute with R/O water to even get close to soft and I currently do not have the space for an R/O Storage tank.

All of my water sources both tap and Well have moderately hard water.  TDS of 200+ I'm guessing from our previous discussions, that they could (if gotten small enough) adapt to that water but they probably never breed in it.  What are your thoughts?

I suspect breeding might require very soft water. But certain Discus are especially bred for durability across wider than normal water parameters. Look up “Stendker” Discus, and see what you learn. Developed in Germany…

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 2:33 PM, ARMYVET said:

All of that is completely doable except the soft water.  I would have to heavily dilute with R/O water to even get close to soft and I currently do not have the space for an R/O Storage tank.

All of my water sources both tap and Well have moderately hard water.  TDS of 200+ I'm guessing from our previous discussions, that they could (if gotten small enough) adapt to that water but they probably never breed in it.  What are your thoughts? 
 

Jack Wattley Discus is in Miami and they can do it. I’m in SWFl  and have hard water and have some discus. There are some Jack Wattley videos on YouTube and I think one with Cory there. I think it will give you some ideas. Here is one of my newer ones. 

6F9E96B7-57F9-48B4-A48E-FEAAE963C981.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, Brandon p said:

Jack Wattley Discus is in Miami and they can do it. I’m in SWFl  and have hard water and have some discus. There are some Jack Wattley videos on YouTube and I think one with Cory there. I think it will give you some ideas. Here is one of my newer ones. 

6F9E96B7-57F9-48B4-A48E-FEAAE963C981.jpeg

Beauty!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, Brandon p said:

Jack Wattley Discus is in Miami and they can do it. I’m in SWFl  and have hard water and have some discus. There are some Jack Wattley videos on YouTube and I think one with Cory there. I think it will give you some ideas. Here is one of my newer ones. 

6F9E96B7-57F9-48B4-A48E-FEAAE963C981.jpeg

Yes he is beautiful. 

I have been to Jack Whatleys warehouse in Miami.  I had won a contest and the prize was a tour thru the warehouse to see the entire operations and 2 of their Angle fish. They had a very elaborate water filtration and mixing system with R/O water....at least they did the last time I was there but that was quite a while ago.  Maybe they have changed things.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to send them an email and ask some questions.  

Thank you.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, Tihshho said:

You've got some gorgeous variants there. Where have you been sourcing them from?

Here's the dead-level truth: I get them from my LFS who orders them from the big-name fish distributors in FL and CA. Half of them are just whatever they felt like sending when he orders. The other half, he specifically asked them to send for himself to keep. They pulled a few nicer selections, but he found he didn't have time to care for them properly, and asked if I wanted to buy them from him cheap.

None of them were specifically bought from premier Discus breeders, or big-name Discus specialists online. I've learned so much from watching those folks teach about the fish . . . but I've not got the $$ required to purchase their stock.

I think that most I've ever spent on a Discus is $50. Most were $20-$25. I bought them young, and fed them a variety of quality foods. I change water 1x a week, and keep the temperature up above 83-degrees F. Most of the time, the water is closer to 87-degrees F.

A couple of them are definitely at spawning age - ca. 1.5x - 2x years old. Discus will sometimes live as long as 15 years if properly cared for. They really are my favorites. I have no idea what all the hype is about their care. I find it hilarious how dramatic Discus keepers are online.  

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 11:16 PM, Fish Folk said:

I have no idea what all the hype is about their care. I find it hilarious how dramatic Discus keepers are online.  

It's funny you say that, because all of the captive variants are extremely easy to care for. The ones that are challenging IME are the wildcaught ones. The issue then tends to be more so tied to deworming and making sure they eat since they tend to never touch prepared foods until F1/F2. I used to know a German diplomat who was the stereotypical Discus guy. If you think reef people are OCD, wait till you talk to a European Discus keeper. There have to be reasons behind the intense practices they follow, but I have yet to see them anywhere near necessary for most captive bred variants out there.

I know there is a big breeder in Baltimore, who also happens to be German, and I've been meaning to schedule some time with him to see the facility and get some half dollar sized stock from him to raise up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 11:29 PM, Tihshho said:

It's funny you say that, because all of the captive variants are extremely easy to care for. The ones that are challenging IME are the wildcaught ones. The issue then tends to be more so tied to deworming and making sure they eat since they tend to never touch prepared foods until F1/F2. I used to know a German diplomat who was the stereotypical Discus guy. If you think reef people are OCD, wait till you talk to a European Discus keeper. There have to be reasons behind the intense practices they follow, but I have yet to see them anywhere near necessary for most captive bred variants out there.

I know there is a big breeder in Baltimore, who also happens to be German, and I've been meaning to schedule some time with him to see the facility and get some half dollar sized stock from him to raise up.

Yes, do go see Hans in Baltimore. He's a big Stendker Discus breeder. Though busy and to the point, I don't find him to be too tightly wound. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching behavior today. There seems to be some beginning of pairing off. Certain Discus really are getting iced out… others are doing a weird threesome thing.

I look forward to learning what ultimately results. One thing: this discus is acting like a popular girl…

6ED8A038-D7AB-4812-9DF3-F77BE8BD70E5.jpeg.8219d516d659e4ee0ceb00d8b72345d3.jpeg

This beauty is “most hated” in the tank…

8A54D1CD-16CA-4C6D-AA96-BE982FCAB848.jpeg.1a0158c146f3183280d39a0bff342fe3.jpeg

I cannot figure out what’s up with these three… but they get along really well, and keep swimming together…

8E62B7B2-EBAD-4E10-B090-C4C1AFAD007C.jpeg.faf773860f4ef848a4fe1e951d82bfa5.jpeg

Still watching here. Another video focused more on these main “players”…

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...