New Fish 'Discoveries'

KentFishFanUK

On 9/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, Gator said:

So now they're called Crocodile Toothpick fish, I've always heard them called Pipefish. The second photo is a Halfbeak, a livebearer, the third photo is a saltwater fish I've recently seen advertised as a Walking Toadfish, but I don't know enough about salt water tanks to have a saltwater tank so, what do I know?

The pipefish I’ve seen are significantly larger than these guys.  I think they’re related, but the crocodile toothpick (Indostomus crocodilus) max out at 1.2”, but the freshwater pipefish max out around 6-8”, per a quick Google search.  I went down the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, Gator said:

So now they're called Crocodile Toothpick fish, I've always heard them called Pipefish. The second photo is a Halfbeak, a livebearer, the third photo is a saltwater fish I've recently seen advertised as a Walking Toadfish, but I don't know enough about salt water tanks to have a saltwater tank so, what do I know?

From what I gather from skimming articles the crocodile toothpick (and two other indostomus species that are very similar) are similar to pipefish but much smaller? (Like an inch! I love them). Apparently they have previously been classified as past of the seahorse family of fish (might include pipefish too? I think anyway) related to sticklebacks and possibly other things but are now reclassified as a family(?) of their own and are now considered unrelated. The other photos are the pics people are posting of the fish they've recently discovered/fallen in love with. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 7:55 PM, Odd Duck said:

The pipefish I’ve seen are significantly larger than these guys.  I think they’re related, but the crocodile toothpick (Indostomus crocodilus) max out at 1.2”, but the freshwater pipefish max out around 6-8”, per a quick Google search.  I went down the rabbit hole.

You beat me to it! Haha and yay I'm glad I'm not the only one who went down the rabbit hole. 

• Haha 1

I also fell in love with a fish when watching @Zenzo’s videos: mudskippers! I was like WAIT you can keep fish that climb out of the water and look like weird frogs?? 🤩 I don’t know when I’ll ever have a tank open where I could keep them, but they’re definitely going to live in the back of my mind until I do.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 9/5/2021 at 1:51 PM, Hobbit said:

I also fell in love with a fish when watching @Zenzo’s videos: mudskippers! I was like WAIT you can keep fish that climb out of the water and look like weird frogs?? 🤩 I don’t know when I’ll ever have a tank open where I could keep them, but they’re definitely going to live in the back of my mind until I do.

I bet half the folks on the forum are secretly planning a Mudskipper tank!

• Like 3

On 9/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, Hobbit said:

Good answer! I had almost forgotten about these. They are so cool and definitely a bucket list fish. You could probably argue that they are the most unique fish in the freshwater hobby I reckon. Love @Zenzo's videos on them. 

• Like 2