New Fish 'Discoveries'

KentFishFanUK

Ok so not real discoveries - but seeing/finding out about a new fish for you.

I'm new to the hobby and haven't kept a whole lot, but I'm the kind of person who likes to do lots of research and make notes and lists etc and have a list of all the fish that really interest me that I hope to keep 'one day'. 

Whilst watching a bunch of older co op and more co op YouTube videos last night I heard about 'crocodile toothpicks' for the first time in an unboxing video and immediately fell in love and added it to the list. No idea how I'm only hearing about them now - they are everything I love about fish haha but makes me excited to wonder what other fish are out there that I can fall in love with. 

What fish have you recently seen and fell in love with?

Indostomus-crocodilus-1-HW.jpg.2329813f60c23afbc5a27b0c234451b2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

On 9/4/2021 at 8:21 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Whilst watching a bunch of older co op and more co op YouTube videos last night I heard about 'crocodile toothpicks' for the first time in an unboxing video and immediately fell in love and added it to the list.

Unless you can grow your own food it is not an easy fish to keep. I have looked at it a while ago.

Indostomus crocodilus — Seriously Fish

• Like 2

I ran across pygmy cory which i knew existed but didnt know much about while deciding on corys for my guppy community. I fell head over heals with some videos on them. They are like baby guppies but stay that way 😍 i ended up making a tank just for them. I adore them. I feel that way about each new fish i fall in love with. Even the most common. I went to my lfs around 3 years ago and fell in love with one particular guppy that danced for ne in the shop.  The most common fish on the planet. Because it was a new fish to me i was as exited as if it was a rare exotic. Im still a kid at heart and new adventures are why i love fish keeping 😁

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 9/4/2021 at 10:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

I ran across pygmy cory which i knew existed but didnt know much about while deciding on corys for my guppy community. I fell head over heals with some videos on them. They are like baby guppies but stay that way 😍 i ended up making a tank just for them. I adore them. I feel that way about each new fish i fall in love with. Even the most common. I went to my lfs around 3 years ago and fell in love with one particular guppy that danced for ne in the shop.  The most common fish on the planet. Because it was a new fish to me i was as exited as if it was a rare exotic. Im still a kid at heart and new adventures are why i love fish keeping 😁

Great answer! I'm the same, still in love with my neon tetras haha

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, BenA said:

Unless you can grow your own food it is not an easy fish to keep. I have looked at it a while ago.

Indostomus crocodilus — Seriously Fish

Thanks and yeah I'm not going to attempt it any time soon. Actually I plan to cultivate my own live foods anyway so once I've got that figured out maybe I'll think about trying them! 

• Like 1

One of the areas where fishkeeping and gardening merge is how "new" species pop up. I have lots of older books on gardening (dating back to the 1930's) and fishkeeping (1960's and later) and every few years a new fish or plant will arrive and everyone will go wild about it. Then I look it up in my old Wise Gardening Encyclopedia or Sterba's Freshwater Fishes of the World, and find out they're not new. They've been around for a long, long time, just not widely circulated commercially. A seller will suddenly decide,"Hey, let's see if this sells" and the "new" plant/fish will suddenly be a hot item. It's interesting to watch it play out time after time. 

• Like 9

On 9/4/2021 at 12:56 PM, gardenman said:

One of the areas where fishkeeping and gardening merge is how "new" species pop up. I have lots of older books on gardening (dating back to the 1930's) and fishkeeping (1960's and later) and every few years a new fish or plant will arrive and everyone will go wild about it. Then I look it up in my old Wise Gardening Encyclopedia or Sterba's Freshwater Fishes of the World, and find out they're not new. They've been around for a long, long time, just not widely circulated commercially. A seller will suddenly decide,"Hey, let's see if this sells" and the "new" plant/fish will suddenly be a hot item. It's interesting to watch it play out time after time. 

Yeah I only meant new to me not actually new! Everyone else is probably already familiar haha they just hadn't come up in any videos etc that I had seen yet. 

I wonder what fish is going to be the next 'hot item'? What's the most recent one you've noticed? 

On 9/4/2021 at 3:21 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

I'm new to the hobby and haven't kept a whole lot, but I'm the kind of person who likes to do lots of research and make notes and lists etc and have a list of all the fish that really interest me that I hope to keep 'one day'. 

Whilst watching a bunch of older co op and more co op YouTube videos last night I heard about 'crocodile toothpicks' for the first time in an unboxing video and immediately fell in love and added it to the list. No idea how I'm only hearing about them now - they are everything I love about fish haha but makes me excited to wonder what other fish are out there that I can fall in love with. 

I WANT ONE OF THOSE...ACTUALLY I WANT LIKE A DOZEN...LOL  😋

I never seen those before!  Man could you imagine 6-7 in a planted tank with little caves everywhere for them.  then they come out and snipe BBS like they are the baddest things ever....LOL

I hatch BBS daily anyways so id be good to go...lol  Cant find a single one anywhere though🤬

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, ARMYVET said:

I WANT ONE OF THOSE...ACTUALLY I WANT LIKE A DOZEN...LOL  😋

I never seen those before!  Man could you imagine 6-7 in a planted tank with little caves everywhere for them.  then they come out and snipe BBS like they are the baddest things ever....LOL

I hatch BBS daily anyways so id be good to go...lol  Cant find a single one anywhere though🤬

RIGHT?! I can't believe they aren't everywhere, they have the same sort of appeal to me as pea puffers. 

If you see any please buy a bunch and post lots of progress pics and vids with them! 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:11 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

RIGHT?! I can't believe they aren't everywhere, they have the same sort of appeal to me as pea puffers. 

If you see any please buy a bunch and post lots of progress pics and vids with them! 

Your right...they have that same appeal as a pea puffer.

Of course I cannot find a pea puffer anywhere right now to save my life!! 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, ARMYVET said:

Your right...they have that same appeal as a pea puffer.

Of course I cannot find a pea puffer anywhere right now to save my life!! 

They are everywhere in my area! Took me longer to find hillstream loaches.

Never seen a crocodile toothpick in an LFS though! Though now every one I pass I will have to pop in and ask if they've ever had them in haha

On 9/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Atitagain said:

Not néw to me but some I’ve been researching lately, thinking of future projects; celestial pearl danio, chili rasbora, and one I guess I haven’t heard of before  Inpaichthys Kerri"super-blue" tetra. Was talking to @tolstoy21 said he is breeding them I had to look them up might become a new obsession.

The only place I've seen these for sale are at Dan's Fish, if you were looking for them. These are also known as Emperor Tetras, or purple/blue emperor tetras, not to be confused with the other, more familiar Emperor Tetra  Nematobrycon palmeri.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The day I saw my first "Purple Frilly Frondosa" (yes I know there are other names but that's what was written on the tank at the time) and it followed me on its little fins from one side of the tank to the other, clearly peeping at me with one clear eye at a time I wanted one. But I don't trust my skills in fish keeping enough to: A) have a salt water tank B) keep this beautiful 500 dollar fish (at the time) alive. Maybe when I'm rich I'll pay someone to maintain a tank for me! 

tempFileForShare_20210904-1618261.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

On 9/4/2021 at 2:21 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Well, I just fell in love with crocodile toothpicks, lumpsuckers, and purple frilly frondosas!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So now they're called Crocodile Toothpick fish, I've always heard them called Pipefish. The second photo is a Halfbeak, a livebearer, the third photo is a saltwater fish I've recently seen advertised as a Walking Toadfish, but I don't know enough about salt water tanks to have a saltwater tank so, what do I know?

• Like 1