This forum 😃

Atitagain

I have spent years on FidoNet, Usenet, and various forums, as well as a period on FB (done), and lurking on Reddit.

I came from another planted tank forum, which had been bought up by some pet forum group to sell ads. The moderators had limited ability to deal with spam or drama, and there wasn’t the unifying mission statement. Image quality was terrible if you didn’t buy a subscription.

Here, Cory had a vision to create a space without any of that drama. He, and now Zenzo, have nothing to prove. They picked moderators with similar values around kindness and community.

Obviously, the forum drives some brand loyalty, but only in a positive way.

I was happy to find a place where I could talk about organic soil tanks without being told that either the concept was wrong, or that I was doing it wrong compared to someone else.

No one here gets shamed for sharing mistakes, problems, and setbacks. We encourage it!

I hope that everyone feels welcomed and supported with their aquarium journeys on this forum.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

@OnlyGenusCaps Lol I've been called stupid a lot on other aquarium platforms. I recently said "Walstad is fine" in an FB group. I've never seen so many essays in my life. Few things have become more annoying than the phrase  "Tom Barr says..." Nothing against Tom. He's a nice enough guy. But a lot of his followers need to chill out. 

Also why I appreciate Cory. He understands that what works in his water won't necessarily work in other people's water and the other way around. He's one of the few popular figures I'd take advice from.

And decisions that deviate from the canon are the best decisions.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 7:41 PM, modified lung said:

He understands that what works in his water won't necessarily work in other people's water and the other way around. He's one of the few popular figures I'd take advice from.

Same.  Most YouTubers I just find annoying and sensationalist or just flat boring.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:49 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Kindness and respect, with a dash of humor and a sprinkle of spice, and always the right level of saltiness. 😍

So true!

• Like 2

And of course, I am ORD😒

I guess if being out of reactions for the day is the worst thing that happens, Cory has done something near miraculous:

Created a space where learning is normalized, admitting that we don't know something is actually celebrated, and success is measured in support and validation. 

If everyone chose to interact like this everywhere, I would be out of a [volunteer] job!

And oh, what a wonderful life that would be. 🐠🌿💜🌿🐠

• Like 1
  • Love 1