Will schooling fish stay pure?

Kelly

Good question!

In my experience, when fishes are among their own species they will typically spawn with their own kind.  In fact, I'm not familiar with any danios or tetras hybridizing.  That said, if you're concerned about the possibility of hybridization then try keeping just one species of danio, barb, or tetra........just keep more of them!

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Thank you.  I have a small aquarium (20 gal) and would like some variety.  I think I may try a couple types and see what happens.

Sure thing.  I think you'll find smaller schooling species, like white cloud mountain minnows and maybe a smaller species of Danio to be really great.....especially if you don't have a heater or just like to keep the tank on the cooler side.  If you keep the tank warm, then maybe a couple species of the smaller tetras would be nice....like glow light tetras, neons, or even cardinal tetras if your water conditions are suitable. In lieu of a wide variety of fishes, I really think more specimens of fewer species is the way to go.  Either way, good luck!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

With my ecosystems, I have learned that multi-layer species tanks produce the most interesting fish behavior.

+1 on this comment.  So true!

I was going to suggest something like hatchets on top, tetras in the middle, and some cories down below, but if the 20-gallon tank is a "20 long" then there's not a whole lot of "middle" space!  LOL

Hard to beat a big tank set up with the "layered approach" for sure. 

Great suggestion, Streetwise!

7 hours ago, Brian Scott said:

Sure thing.  I think you'll find smaller schooling species, like white cloud mountain minnows and maybe a smaller species of Danio to be really great.....especially if you don't have a heater or just like to keep the tank on the cooler side.  If you keep the tank warm, then maybe a couple species of the smaller tetras would be nice....like glow light tetras, neons, or even cardinal tetras if your water conditions are suitable. In lieu of a wide variety of fishes, I really think more specimens of fewer species is the way to go.  Either way, good luck!

Really appreciate your input.   So much to think about.

• Like 1

On the original topic, it is known that various rainbowfish species will hybridize with each other. And the babies tend to be nowhere near as pretty and colorful as the parents.  But rainbowfish aside from the smallest pseudomugils will be too big for a 20 long anyhow.

20 longs are a great size for a beginner community. I usually go for one mid-water schooling species, one bottom dwelling schooling species,  and a centerpiece fish. So something like danios, peppered corydoras and a bolivian ram pair. Or halequin rasboras, kuhli loaches and a trio of honey gourami.

Edited by Nataku
I still can't spell