Diatom Bloom or an Actual Problem?

Hey all, I just started a 10 gallon tank a little over 2 weeks ago. I had a filter sponge in one of my established tanks that I used to seed this new tank, added some anacharis and water sprite, and started the cycle going with small amounts of fish food. After about 2 weeks of daily water testing I noticed the ammonia levels reduced to almost 0 ppm and decided to add my betta in order to help get this tank fully cycled.

When I woke up today (2 days after I added my betta to the 10 gal) I noticed the water almost had a yellowish tint to it and this orangish/brownish algae is starting to grow on everything. I am hoping this is just a diatom bloom, which would indicate my tank is at the end of the cycling process, but I figured I would post on here before I decide on anything.

If this is just a diatom bloom, should I consider getting some type of cleaner fish and continue with the tank?

If it is not a diatom bloom, then what is it and how deadly is it to my tank?

Additional Info: Ammonia = 0 ppm. Nitrites = 0 ppm. Nitrates = 10 ppm. I also added a picture of the "algae" as reference

Diatoms.jpg

On 9/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, Evan Ganser said:

@Tihshho Okay good that is what I was hoping for! Do you think it is time to start adding fish to the tank? I've always wanted kuhli loaches and am wondering if the tank is stable enough to add a few

I always start with 1-2 only and allow bacteria to grow and add slowly as parameters permits. For a 10 gallon I would start with 1 unless they are very small. 

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

I always start with 1-2 only and allow bacteria to grow and add slowly as parameters permits. For a 10 gallon I would start with 1 unless they are very small. 

If that's the case then I should just chill out and let the tank keep building up bacteria. I already have my betta in the tank and don't want to create any bio-overload issues. I could put my betta back in his tank and replace him with a kuhli, but the tank is probably better off just sitting for another week or so before I start adding different fish

On 9/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, Tihshho said:

If it were me, I'd add something just to make sure that the bacteria is still getting fed. Be it continue ghost feeding or just a couple of fish. 

That said, you mentioned you were testing ammonia, how are your nitrite and nitrate levels?

Nitrites are at 0ppm and the nitrates have been testing around 10ppm. But I do have my betta in the tank currently, however I don't want to keep him out of his tank for longer than I have to. So maybe I should return him to his tank and replace him with some type of cleaner fish in the 10 gal.

Depending on the 'cleaner' that might work. I'd stay away from pleco's as they are going to be messy and will put a big bioload on the tank compared to what it had. Something like otto's would work great, but they can be a little sensitive so you might be best to add them later to a more established tank.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, Tihshho said:

Depending on the 'cleaner' that might work. I'd stay away from pleco's as they are going to be messy and will put a big bioload on the tank compared to what it had. Something like otto's would work great, but they can be a little sensitive so you might be best to add them later to a more established tank.

Hmm okay thanks, this gives me a lot to think about. I am going to my local fish store today to fill up my RO water jugs and do some window shopping. I'll ask around there and see if they think they have a fish that would be suitable for my aquarium right now. But I'm thinking I just need to keep my betta in it a little longer and let the tank get more established. I hate how much waiting there is when it comes to this hobby 😅

On 9/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, Evan Ganser said:

If that's the case then I should just chill out and let the tank keep building up bacteria. I already have my betta in the tank and don't want to create any bio-overload issues. I could put my betta back in his tank and replace him with a kuhli, but the tank is probably better off just sitting for another week or so before I start adding different fish

No matter how long you wait your bacteria will only grow to the amount of fish you have. If it were me since you have your betta in I would remove him home and add two kuhli. One will replace betta bio load one will grow more bacteria.  Wait a week before adding a third etc. test regularly 

edit diatoms will go away on their own

i also know nothing about kuhli so I’m assuming 2-3 fit in a 10

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, Guppysnail said:

No matter how long you wait your bacteria will only grow to the amount of fish you have. If it were me since you have your betta in I would remove him home and add two kuhli. One will replace betta bio load one will grow more bacteria.  Wait a week before adding a third etc. test regularly 

edit diatoms will go away on their own

i also know nothing about kuhli so I’m assuming 2-3 fit in a 10

I always learn so much whenever I post here, so I really appreciate it! But okay how exciting!! That means I get to go fish shopping today which is the best day ever haha.

But you're spot on! I plan on having a total of 3 kuhlis in my 10 gal

• Love 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, Evan Ganser said:

I hate how much waiting there is when it comes to this hobby 😅

Yeah this hobby is a lot about waiting, be it setting up a tank, raising fish to breeding size, waiting for them to spawn, waiting for the babies to pop out or eggs to be laid and hatch, waiting for them to grow, or waiting for fish to become available. These are the best waiting parts. The worst waiting part is when you have to QT fish and medicate... That's never fun.

• Like 2