Pea Puffer

JoshStover

I just got my daughter a pea puffer and stuck him in an older and somewhat neglected aqua scape in a 10. It was a little over run with bladder snails and Mr. Puffer quickly went on a snail murdering rampage. My first question is what can I put in the tank, if anything, to help clean up the snail remnants? Also, the little guy has been going around and eating up nerite snail eggs off the filter and dragon stone. I had no idea that they’d eat the nerite eggs. My daughter and wife quickly fell in love with the little guy and they want me to setup a 30gal Half Moon with 6-8 pea puffers in the living room now. The living room has always been off limits for my tanks so I’m pretty excited!!

3B447C55-A7FF-4FAF-BEC0-C7CB5FF17052.jpeg

• Like 7

On 9/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, Nooby said:

@JoshStover just curious what do you feed your puffer?

The Pea puffer is getting very small bladder and ramshorn snails, blood worms and live mosquito larvae. There’s neo shrimp in there too so I’m sure it hunts the babies on occasion. I’m always looking for new options to try if you know of some I don’t have in rotation. 

On 9/2/2021 at 11:22 AM, JoshStover said:

Thanks y’all. I’m not really worried about the shells. Mainly just the bits of flesh left in the shells that’ll rot and probably mess with my parameters 

I regularly add amphipods to the pea puffer tank to help clean any meat remnants out of the semi-empty snail shells.  The puffers also love amphipods so they are a good food source for them, too.  If you add the amphipods either before lights on, or after lights out when the puffers have put themselves to bed, the amphipods have a much better chance of survival. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:01 PM, JoshStover said:

The Pea puffer is getting very small bladder and ramshorn snails, blood worms and live mosquito larvae. There’s neo shrimp in there too so I’m sure it hunts the babies on occasion. I’m always looking for new options to try if you know of some I don’t have in rotation. 

Favorites of mine, by far, are whiteworms, then Daphnia, then amphipods, then blackworms, then snails, then frozen bloodworms.  I haven’t tried mosquito larvae and don’t have Neos in that tank.

• Like 1
  • Love 1