Upgrading from 10 gallon to 15 gallon

Bridget

Hiya everyone.

I know this topic has been discussed before but I wanted to get advice on the best way to do it with my specific set up.

My 10 gallon tank has been established for about 2 months. It was one of those starters kits that came with a corner filter, which works, but also I purchased a Co-Op 10 gallon small size sponge filter with an air stone that's been in the tank for the last 2 weeks. I wanted to eventually replace the ugly boxy corner filter with the sponge so that's why I have two filters in the tank. I can see the sponge filter has been doing a good job of collecting some of the gunk so far.

Now I'd like to upgrade to a 15 gallon to give my fishies some more room (I have 2 Mollies and 3 guppies but I perhaps plan on a couple more in the future). With that and if I have this right, I'd drain some tank water from the 10 gallon into separate a container and place my fish in there with an air stone. Then, move over everything from the 10 gallon in to the 15 gallon. Substrate, decor, live plants and both filters..etc? I will obviously need a lot more substrate from what's in the 10 gallon. Can I then just add new media to the older stuff and mix it all together in the new tank? 

Also, I know that the water column itself doesn't hold a lot of BB but would it still be okay to move over like half of it over from the 10 gallon to the new tank and then fill it up the rest with new temperature matched dechlorinated water?  It kind of make sense that it would essentially be like doing like a 50-75% water change. 

My other question is what else should I add to the new tank as far as chemicals go? I have Prime, Prime Stability and also API products like Stresscoat, Stress zyme, and Quick Start.

Finally, do I need to do any acclimation for my fish before they go in the tank after that?

Thank you for any advice and guidance to my questions. 🙂 ♥ 

Edited by Bridget
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, sudofish said:

Sounds good to me. Could I talk you into a 20 long? I understand space is always a consideration though.

I looked at the 20 long. I loved it, but yah I don't have the space for it on the cabinet I have and need to use.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:22 AM, Bridget said:

I looked at the 20 long. I loved it, but yah I don't have the space for it on the cabinet I have and need to use.

How about a 20 High?  I think its the same length as the 15 if I remember correctly.  The more water volume you have the better stability in water parameters you will have.  Just a thought.

• Like 4