Upside down black moor and nitrites

Staceyh527

Maybe someone can help me here. I have a black moor that was upside down this morning when I woke I tested the water there is nitrites in the water I did a 30% change. He lives with a dojo and hillstream loaches in a 40 breeder that has been set up since November last year. If it was caused by the nitrites what do I do? They all eat repashy,duckweed,bug bites, cichlid excel, brine shrimp and blood worms sometimes. I do weekly water changes on this tank every Thursday. I have no idea what caused this! The only filter that I clean weekly is the intake sponge the rest get cleaned when I see a change in flow which is about every 2 months or so and I never do more than one in a water change. How can I help my fat Albert. 

He is upside down all day he will swim around some though. and I’m using the coop stripes all is in good shape but I had less then 1 nitrites for some reason the nitrates was less then 40 I’m doing another water change tomorrow after testing but I’ve been told to use meds 

It could be swim bladder with the symptoms your describing I would recommend epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 10 minutes 2-3 times a day for a couple of days I would also fast for couple of days epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants if after a couple of days you see no improvement then I would treat with kanaplex as some swim bladder problems can be caused by a bacterial infection you can add prime to detoxify nitrites once every 24hr

Thank you and I have stopped feeding and this morning he is sideways now and swimming much more. So I’m going to hold off on feeding another day and the co-op told me to do a round of maracyn just in case there is bacteria infection some where. I love the dojo loach but he is a little to much for the goldfish he is 7 in. And I’ve been trying to rehome him for a while now and I’m having no luck at all. If anyone lives close to Myrtle Beach and has a big enough tank and wants one of these guys I would love to give him a new home. They are so much fun but I feel like he may be stressing my Goldie some. I appreciate all the help from you guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

He could have damage his swim bladder if that the case its wait and see it might get better over time or stay the same as long as he has a good quality of life I would monitor him for now  if you don't see any improvement over the next couple of weeks it's probably permanent damage to the swim bladder