What are your setups for breeding corydoras?

Yanni

Hi everybody! I've really wanted to try and breed some of my corys but I don't know what would be the most efficient setup to breed them. What keeps them comfortable and what should I do to make them happy? What tank size would be best for "x" amount of corys? etc. I just want to try and breed some corydoras and be successful. Any advice is appreciated 

• Like 1

You've probably heard this before, but use cool water when doing a water change. About an hour later, lots of eggs all over the glass. I've gone from 5 to 30 paleatus corys without doing anything beyond that. The same technique got my pygmy corys laying eggs too, but they, uh, really enjoy caviar, so those eggs would need to be pulled.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My bronze cories bred copiously in a 20 gallon high that was an “emergency” set up for them and then also became a plant holding tank.  Provide enough cover and some babies will survive.  You’ll usually get higher survival rates by pulling eggs and hatching separately depending on how bad they are about eating eggs.

The bronzes are now breeding in my 100 gallon and there are at least 8 fry in there now without me trying to save anybody.  It’s pretty densely planted.  They don’t breed as often now because the fairly small amount of water I change doesn’t drop the tank temp enough to trigger them, especially when the tap water comes out at tank temp (76-78 degrees) this time of year.  When the water was cooler out of the tap, they would breed reliably after pretty much every water change unless I matched temp carefully to limit breeding.

I’m planning to attempt breeding some orange laser cories if I can get my hands on enough for a breeding group at the right price for about 6 in a 10 gallon.  Then I’ll pull eggs to raise separately since that will be the main goal.