Anyone have trouble running multiple Matten Filters off 1 pump?

TheAdmiral

I have 2 20g longs each with a matten filter, running off a single Tetra 77850 (60g-100g rated version) via a 4 way valve. I keep having weird flow issues. I'll have them dialed in great, then the next morning, flow on one has greatly reduced, culprit being crappy flow coming from the no-clog air stone. So I loosen the airstone, flow great again, then maybe a few days later, same thing. Loosen the air stone more, play with the air valves, everything dialed in again. Then in a few days, similar issues, maybe from the same tank, maybe from the other. 

I just can't figure out why they don't stay dialed in. I'm guessing it has something to do with air following the path of least resistance so any difference in caused by different air hose lengths, adjustment of the airstone, depth of the water, etc will result in differences in pressure. I guess running multiple items off a single outlet is futile?

It's maddening. Any thoughts?

You nailed it with "air flowing the path of least resistance". Be sure your length of airline to each tank is equal as well as the settings for the airstone (don't know the no clog models well enough to help since I don't use them) as well as the depth of the airstone for each tank. If everything ends up being equal then you shouldn't have 'a path of least resistance' issue. The other thing is, if you're not running the pump full out you might be creating significant back pressure to the diaphragm that's causing something weird to happen.

After 3.5 years in my current fish room I've noticed some air pumps starting to clog or produce little output, so if you're using an older/used pump it might have just worn out. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:05 PM, Tihshho said:

You nailed it with "air flowing the path of least resistance". Be sure your length of airline to each tank is equal as well as the settings for the airstone (don't know the no clog models well enough to help since I don't use them) as well as the depth of the airstone for each tank. If everything ends up being equal then you shouldn't have 'a path of least resistance' issue. The other thing is, if you're not running the pump full out you might be creating significant back pressure to the diaphragm that's causing something weird to happen.

Thanks for the confirmation. Theoretically adjusting the ball valves on the 4-way valve should allow me to compensate for the other factors but It's never that easy. I am probably going to swap out the airstones with standard ones to eliminate those adjustments as well as making sure the hoses are the same length. 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, DavidR said:

I'm running three off of one pump. I'm using an Eheim pump and an air distribution manifold to ensure the air is consistent across all tanks.

So same thing I am doing, but with better results. What air stones are you using? What manifold?

On 9/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, TheAdmiral said:

So same thing I am doing, but with better results. What air stones are you using? What manifold?

This manifold: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-accessories/products/4-way-metal-gang-valve

These airstones: https://flipaquatics.com/products/matten-filter-air-line-kit?variant=49323129476

If I did it again I'd likely use the Ziss never clog air stones. Will likely be installing these eventually.

Edited by DavidR

On 9/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, DavidR said:

This manifold: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-accessories/products/4-way-metal-gang-valve

These airstones: https://flipaquatics.com/products/matten-filter-air-line-kit?variant=49323129476

If I did it again I'd likely use the Ziss never clog air stones. Will likely be installing these eventually.

Yea, so I am using the same manifold and the never-clog stones and they are giving me nothing but issues, per OP.