Recommend breeding projects on a budget

Atitagain

On 8/31/2021 at 7:26 AM, Atitagain said:

Been fish keeping about 30 years but 98%of that not knowing there was such a thing as a nitrogen cycle let alone understanding it.Breeding during that time was all accidental. Over the last couple years been learning a lot and attempting to breed fish on purpose. 
Ive breed (on purpose) 3 types of African cichlids, platties, mystery snails, guppies, cherry shrimp, endlers, and my latest project bristlenose. I have been very successful with all these projects. I do a lot of research, try and create a good environment, watch and entice breeding behavior, closely watch water parameters, and feed feed feed.

ok so parameters of project; 20G tank, not easy but not to difficult (wanna step up my game), will have to start with fish I have or cheap to buy, and will stay in 20G for a good while.

fish I would buy that I’m thinking about; shellies, some type of small plecos, corys, and German blue rams ( big fan of GBR and have tried before and failed)

fish I have that I’m thinking about; salt and pepper corys, pea puffers (fairly confident I have 1M and 2F), and my ultimate goal fish to breed rummynose tetra ( have read these are more for advanced breeders?)

this is not a breed for profit project.

We joined a fish club, and started hammering away at BAP. That's the best way to stay engaged in the hobby. I've found that the main joy I find is breeding fish I'd love to keep, not matter how easy or hard they are. At first, I wanted to keep EVERYTHING. All fish seemed infinitely fascinating. But over time, I've figured out what I really love. I'm happy for others to enjoy different fish. If you love Rummynose, go for it! Yes, it may be hard. But read everything you can find on breeding them. Watch every video. Ask everybody how they do it. You'll need mature fish, and an environment that works. They're egg-scatterers, so check out videos from L. R Bretz, Greg Sage, and others on how to breed egg-scatterers. Ted judy has a method where he knocks out a tank bottom to  10-gal and puts a screen across. Then sticks that inside a largeer tank, propped up on something to allow eggs to fall through the holes. Then tetras are put in, they spawn if mature and well fed with good parameters, and the eggs fall through. From there, it's a matter of raising them up properly. Some tetra eggs are photo-sensitive, and might require a dark tank. Others aren't. Tons of java moss is huge. Always use sponge filters.

Same deal: if you love GBRs, you'll figure it out! It's hard, but so worth it. 

• Like 4

I think Killifish such as the gardeneri or orange australe would be a good option as they live for more then a year. Something else that might be fun would be a bolivian ram breeding project. I have some right now that i'm trying to get to breed, but they are the perfect fish in my opinion. The have cool colors(albeit not a vibrant as gbr) and they are more peaceful than other rams. They are incredibly easy to feed and will eat any kind of fish food you put in your tanks. And the thing that I most like about them is that they are extremely hardy and don't need the high temps that other rams need. 

On 8/31/2021 at 3:04 PM, Fish Folk said:

We joined a fish club, and started hammering away at BAP. That's the best way to stay engaged in the hobby. I've found that the main joy I find is breeding fish I'd love to keep, not matter how easy or hard they are. At first, I wanted to keep EVERYTHING. All fish seemed infinitely fascinating. But over time, I've figured out what I really love. I'm happy for others to enjoy different fish. If you love Rummynose, go for it! Yes, it may be hard. But read everything you can find on breeding them. Watch every video. Ask everybody how they do it. You'll need mature fish, and an environment that works. They're egg-scatterers, so check out videos from L. R Bretz, Greg Sage, and others on how to breed egg-scatterers. Ted judy has a method where he knocks out a tank bottom to  10-gal and puts a screen across. Then sticks that inside a largeer tank, propped up on something to allow eggs to fall through the holes. Then tetras are put in, they spawn if mature and well fed with good parameters, and the eggs fall through. From there, it's a matter of raising them up properly. Some tetra eggs are photo-sensitive, and might require a dark tank. Others aren't. Tons of java moss is huge. Always use sponge filters.

Same deal: if you love GBRs, you'll figure it out! It's hard, but so worth it. 

Wow now that’s a post!!! Truly inspirational thank you so much! Rummynose it is. It will be a hard challenge but that’s one of the things I love about this hobby, you absolutely only get out of it what you put into it. I have about 24 mature-ish I think 9 months old rummynose already. Thanks for the heads up about who would be a good start to research as well. 
this will be interesting and a huge learning experience no matter the outcome.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 6:27 PM, Atitagain said:

Wow now that’s a post!!! Truly inspirational thank you so much! Rummynose it is. It will be a hard challenge but that’s one of the things I love about this hobby, you absolutely only get out of it what you put into it. I have about 24 mature-ish I think 9 months old rummynose already. Thanks for the heads up about who would be a good start to research as well. 
this will be interesting and a huge learning experience no matter the outcome.

They’ll do best if you get a ton of Java moss. Live baby brine shrimp is essential. I also recommend Grindal Worms. Females will be larger, with more rounded bellies. I’d personally add tannins (I use Rooibos tea bags), and change some water using rain water because it is super soft, and neutral pH. I use the water that rises up in my sump. Big barometric pressure changes can trigger them, so look for storm fronts coming through. Biggest problem is keeping parents from eating eggs. Second problem is feeding microscopic fry. You’ll need to have some source of infusoria. I’d add several Catappa leaves to substrate before dumping in gallons of Java moss. Also, order a vinegar eel culture. 

Thank you everyone for contributing, I’ve decided I will breed rummynose tetra! 
African cichlids are my favorite fish then rummynose tetra, then a huge gap before number 3. The schooling behavior is what fascinates me so much and their markings simple but so smooth. My school is at 24ish right now ,at minimum want to build that to 75 and see where I want to go from there.

I will start a journal about this project hope to see you all follow along. I know I’ll be asking plenty of questions.

again thank you everyone.

• Love 2