Anybody Tried One Of These As A Stand?

Ken

Has anyone tried something like this as an aquarium stand? The dimensions look good as well as the weight bearing capacity. I really don't like the appearance or quality of the stands at the Pet****** store these look like viable option, opinions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0839C4685/?coliid=I2W20NKQSO39PH&colid=1IHY2BABROHEZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088P7LTMH/?coliid=I3M6Z8MX8RHUO5&colid=1IHY2BABROHEZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

I went for the not as pretty industrial/garage shelves from Home Depot.  The thin (only 3/8”) particle board shelves were replaced with poly sealed 3/4” outdoor-grade plywood when the original shelves bowed under the weight of the first 10 gallon tank I filled.  😯 😔

I’m much more confident in the shelves I have now.

• Like 2

Wow, I really like the look of those stands! I bought both of my bigger aquariums used and they came with stands.

I think the metal frame should be strong enough to support the aquarium, especially since they have supports in the center. 

The only negative to these is that I wouldn't have a closed cabinet to hide all my fish foods, chemicals, and other stuff haha. 

• Like 2

I think it would be fine but I would worry about the mdf particle fiber board warping with water exposure.  I coat all my wood stands (repurposed furniture🤣) with heavy polyurethane.  So I would definitely use one but add that extra protection. Helmsman makes a dynamite polyurethane 3 coats and i have some wood stands over 20 years old still great shape.  

• Like 2

I second Helmsman for all my woodworking needs. Looks fantastic too, the satin finish is great if you don't like the look of  high gloss. For aquarium stands I like thrifting for solid oak furniture, but now that thrifting is "in" it's getting harder and harder to find dense wood furniture. I would imagine the metal stand from amazon would be great! I have seen youtubers lift the particle board out and replace it with sealed butcher block. Looks cleaner, is sturdier, and waterproof.

• Like 1

For your tv set yes, for your aquarium, I would not risk it. Several of the reviewers refer to the veneer as "contact paper" with other quality control issues...  The frame is probably spot welded which is great until it isn't.  The total capacity of the stand is 300# even though the picture shows the stand holding 520#  Anything more than a single 30 gallon would probably be pushing it.

I ended up buying a Sofa Table at the thrift store that is old enough to be solid wood with mortise and tenon or glued and screwed joints. It held my wife and I sitting on it and wiggling around (300#).  The size is perfect for a couple ten gallons end to end and I like the height. The stain refresh is drying now. I'll give it a couple coats of varnish starting tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is. $20 initial price put another $30 into it for stain, varnish and the protective cover. I took apart all of the joints that needed attention and reglued and recrewed.  It's anchored to the wall with a piece of 1x3 fastened to the frame of the table and into a stud on the wall. The stuff on the top I bought from Joann craft store.  table3.jpg.7ef74d6ad090406e080c2aaf06f3b15c.jpgtable2.jpg.3a56a14d0bebaa635f8c290e07e58f1e.jpgtable1.jpg.9135e87f1e68d9a4b8fb5454b7bb9032.jpg

Edited by Ken
  • Like 7

On 9/19/2021 at 10:46 PM, Ken said:

Well here it is. $20 initial price put another $30 into it for stain, varnish and the protective cover. I took apart all of the joints that needed attention and reglued and recrewed.  It's anchored to the wall with a piece of 1x3 fastened to the frame of the table and into a stud on the wall. The stuff on the top I bought from Joann craft store.  table3.jpg.7ef74d6ad090406e080c2aaf06f3b15c.jpgtable2.jpg.3a56a14d0bebaa635f8c290e07e58f1e.jpgtable1.jpg.9135e87f1e68d9a4b8fb5454b7bb9032.jpg

Now that is a nice piece of furniture.   It totally sucks that furniture isnt built like that anymore!  Excellent refinish job done in it @Ken.  Looks professionally done! 

• Like 1

That stand you ended up with looks excellent.

On the original post... I've considered building out of the threaded gas line steel pipe and fittings,which are rated for a minimum of 15 tons of psi internal pressure before failure,  or conduit pipe painted black and dimensional lumber. The only wood being the top. 

Post the world shutting down I believe pipe is a bit cheaper not as much demand as wood. 

• Like 1