Hardy bettas

Gideyon

I've been reading the same thing about plakats. I just wasn't sure if that was based on assumptions or something quantifiable. 

I remember years ago, my brother had a red veil tail in a 55g community, and other than 2 pothos, no plants for hiding.   It did well in there, and it was at room temperature even (74 maybe?).   I just find it odd that betta lasted longer than my recent one even though I had more of what the betta needed (according to "experts") 

I feel like Bettas are tolerant of a lot of water parameters, but I don't find them to be that hearty when it comes to diseases.   Not sure if this was the case years ago as I never had one then.    
I did hear like other said that the shorter fins are more hearty.

I think the plakats are healthier because they aren't prone to fin rot like their flowing finned counterparts. They also aren't as heavily bred for specific looks like the others are. So I think they are more "pure" or whatever you wanna call it. Probably not the right word but I think you get what I mean.

Other betta species exist too if you want something hardy. The strawberry betta is becoming more and more common as local breeding is ramping up. Betta foerschi are also becoming more common although they are for the most part wild caught.

But Betta splendins are suffering from inbreeding. Very much like certain dog breeds the genetic pool was already small to begin with and when you start selecting for certain traits it narrows the genetic diversity further. Local breeders are attempting to undo this by using wild bettas to restore genetic diversity.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:52 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Other betta species exist too if you want something hardy. The strawberry betta is becoming more and more common as local breeding is ramping up. Betta foerschi are also becoming more common although they are for the most part wild caught.

But Betta splendins are suffering from inbreeding. Very much like certain dog breeds the genetic pool was already small to begin with and when you start selecting for certain traits it narrows the genetic diversity further. Local breeders are attempting to undo this by using wild bettas to restore genetic diversity.

I don't want to do wild caught until I'm better at fish keeping.  But when I do, the alien betta is what I'm eyeing. 

Strawberry bettas are fascinating. Never seen it before. I like how you can keep a community of them peacefully.  But it'll be hard to keep the pH that low on purpose. 

Plakats do look closer to their wild brethren as far as fins go.  I read they're more aggressive though in community settings. 

I am considering splendins because of their availability and relatively cheap cost for the non-specialty ones.  I'm considering green neons and a betta in a 10.  Or white clouds if those are too nippy.  But I want to keep the temp no higher than 75. 

For other betta species it isn't necessarily a lack of experience, they are not finicky about food and are really just timid fish. It comes down to having well established fish tanks which just comes with time.

Local breeders may be your best bet for more gentically diverse splendens since you don't care about variants from the sounds of it. The price will be higher than pet chainstores but overall fish health should be better.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:00 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

On 8/31/2021 at 7:57 PM, Joanie said:

You can find healthier bettas from more responsible breeders, but you are going to pay higher prices for them. Usually anywhere from $50 to $100 per fish.

Wow have they really gotten that expensive? I suppose the demand and lack of availability dictates, but that is a pricey fish!

Maybe in that location, but there are some LFS by me where you can still get trusted breeder raised bettas for 20ish-40 dollars 

on a side comment though, I wish someone would go ahead and breed a cold tolerant bettas for once so people who don’t like heaters like myself could keep bettas again, I have had to many fail to keep heaters ever again I hate heaters.