Help with fertilizer schedule/dosages and Fluval Plant 3.0 settings?

My tank is about nine months old - 13g 16" deep with chili rasboras and cherry shrimp, Flourite substrate with root tabs and a Fluval Plant 3.0 light. It has a fair amount of established plants: anubias, java ferns, red flame swords, dwarf water lettuce and hitchhiker duckweed. I mysteriously killed a few supposedly easy plants over the last several months, within a week of getting them: java moss, christmas moss, guppy grass, jungle val. I recently added my first plants that need higher light: scarlet temple, microswords and Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan', and I want to make sure that I'm giving them enough light to grow (or at least stay green and not die) while not encouraging too much algae growth. With the shrimp I'm not worried about most algae types, they'll happily eat it, but they don't eat BBA and I have a tiny bit of BBA already on the leaf of a java fern that's below the filter outtake. 

What settings should I have my light on to give the higher light plants enough light? I think this light is capable of high light in a tank this size, isn't it? And how often/how much should I dose fertilizers (I currently do two pumps Easy Green twice a week, one pump Easy Iron twice a week, 2.5 ml Flourish Advance once a week) to keep up with the higher light so that I don't develop an algae problem?

Also, I have my scarlet temple not properly "planted" or buried in the Flourite, they're just sitting on top of the substrate with plant weights wrapped around the bottoms, because I'd read they're mostly water column feeders - is this okay?

120147500_3567530323285013_4698791349780656769_o.jpg

Edited by amaranthine1018

• Administrators

The original post is quite a thing to tackle to address everything there. The light you have is more than enough to establish high light. However currently your floating plants are blocking nearly all of the light. The floating plants will also be taking the lions share of fertilizer as well.

As for the scarlet temple, the plant still does best when planted so it can establish roots. It can be grown the way you are currently but I suspect you'll have the stems rot where the plant weight is. 

Each tank is different and you'll need to monitor water parameters and make some education decisions when it comes to how much light for how long and adjusting over time.  My first step would be removing at least 50% of the floating plants so the rest of the plants can get some light and nutrients.