Possibly Ich?

DarthRevan

So about 3 weeks ago I set up a brand new aquarium (heavily planted 40 gal breeder). I’m doing a fish in cycle (by necessity not choice). I’ll post a picture of my tap water parameters below for reference, I do keep my tank between 77 and 78 (it usually sits right at 77.5). The water parameters are what I measured from an API test kit. Nitrites and ammonia are currently at about .25 ppm each, I’ve been dosing a capful of Seachem Prime every 24-48 hours to keep it nontoxic while the tank cycles. 

I know fish in cycles can be rough on fish. I can’t tell if this Molly has ich or not. It’s hard to tell from the photos but the spots and patches on the fish are very clearly gold, not white. I hadn’t noticed it before but my roommate says that the Molly had gold on her the day I bought her, and I haven’t really seen it get worse but it’s a little hard for me to tell. Does anyone else have black swordtail mollies that have gold coloration on them? Also, none of my other fish have any spots on them and it’s been 3 weeks so I would assume if it was ich it would’ve spread by now. 

Also, behavior wise the Molly seems fine. She eats normally, swims all around, doesn’t rub her sides on any of the plants or aquarium walls. Sometimes I’ve noticed her shimmying on the bottom but that only lasts like 30 seconds then she’s off exploring again, and that doesn’t happen often (maybe a couple times a week). I’m by my tank 10.5 hours a day while I work so I have a pretty good idea of changes to the norm in my tank. 

Also sorry for the terrible photo quality it’s harder than I thought to photograph fish 😂

F92D4B7E-29AB-4179-A58A-F81EBCC19D78.jpeg.e7b46df6d1e50c15cb4f2002f8ebc082.jpeg
C12A202E-43CA-43F2-AE89-1F65365AEF6F.jpeg.c06b86a88641f202fa29ab5deafc9681.jpeg06110747-71B8-46E8-9A3E-18A5A44CAFD5.jpeg.5172d34f1e3ed5d6956eba5529446aa6.jpeg

Based on the photo quality it's a bit hard to tell if that's the occasional white/silver that can be found on Black Molly's. I'd recommend bumping the temps up to around 80-82. Higher temps cause the ich parasite to go through it's lifecycle faster. If it becomes obvious there is ich, I'd look at dosing an anti parasitic, unless you have a QT tank setup to pull the Molly's and treat them there. If so, bump the temps up even higher on the display tank and run the QT in the 80's. I'd hate for you to have to use an ich treatment in a display because it's going to impact you in the long run if you ever plan on keeping inverts. I know there are some ich treatments out there that are copper free, but IME they take a little longer to work than something that is copper based. On top of that, staining silicon and other things in the tank ends up being inevitable, so being able to keep those eyesores away from a display would be ideal.

If you can get a clearer shot, I'm sure we'd be able to see if it is ich or not. I'd work on that before doing any of the above.

• Like 1

Still hard to tell, sorry. Yeah when it comes to taking pictures of moving fish it's a challenge, lol. 

If the color is gold, I'm strongly leaning away from ich. Generally, ich starts out as a few dots all over the fish, and from there the population on the fish will grow over time. Right now that color from what I can tell from the pictures is mainly concentrated around the head, that's the areas those metallic scales generally show up on Molly's. If you start seeing white show up on other places of the body and fins, then for sure you will know it's ich. Once you see it in person, you'll never mistake it again.

• Like 1

That’s true I forgot most fish you get at stores are juveniles and likely to develop new colors as they mature lol. 

I was also thinking the same, especially since other fish don’t have anything on them, I just wanted to be extra sure since I’m brand new at all this. The color is definitely concentrated around the head and on the side fins and I don’t think it’s spreading it’s just becoming more pronounced. Thank you for the help and peace of mind!!