How do I do a water change with city water?

Keeg

So I've lived on underground well water my entire life. The main benefit of this would be that I dont have to add any chemicals or get an expensive machine to make the water safe for fish. But I'm moving into my dorm soon and I'm bringing a tiny tank with me. 

I do not know how to do a water change with chorine in the water. Can someone explain the process of how to do a water change with choline present. Like do you add the chemicals before or after you add in the new water. Do I have to be cautious of anything?

Another question is that the city's water treatment states that they also use ozone in their water treatment process. Is this bad for fish? Do I have to do anything about this? 

I've been spoiled with well water all my life, never had this issue before. 

@Keeg This is what I’ve done for many, many years. First purchase a 32 gallon or 45 gallon trash can from any big box hardware store. I’d also purchase the wheels that go under it, makes for a much easier time. Next, I’d purchase a water pump, I’ve got one that moves 800gph because I think I paid $10. Also I use a water circulator, again I believe I paid $10. I purchased both on Amazon. I use a python to fill the trash can. After it’s full, I drop some Fritz water conditioner and then turn the water circulator on. 
Next I use the python to remove water from said aquarium. After that I use the water pump (in the trash can) to pump the water into the aquarium. When pumping the water into the aquarium, I use a plastic container to place the end of the hose from the water pump into the container inside of the aquarium. If you do not do this, the water will rush in and rearrange everything in the aquarium, so a “buffer” is very important. You can also bend the hose a bit to reduce the inflow of water. After it’s full, move onto to the next aquarium and repeat. Please let me know if this makes sense. Thank you kindly and good luck. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:24 AM, Manny said:

@Keeg This is what I’ve done for many, many years. First purchase a 32 gallon or 45 gallon trash can from any big box hardware store. I’d also purchase the wheels that go under it, makes for a much easier time. Next, I’d purchase a water pump, I’ve got one that moves 800gph because I think I paid $10. Also I use a water circulator, again I believe I paid $10. I purchased both on Amazon. I use a python to fill the trash can. After it’s full, I drop some Fritz water conditioner and then turn the water circulator on. 
Next I use the python to remove water from said aquarium. After that I use the water pump (in the trash can) to pump the water into the aquarium. When pumping the water into the aquarium, I use a plastic container to place the end of the hose from the water pump into the container inside of the aquarium. If you do not do this, the water will rush in and rearrange everything in the aquarium, so a “buffer” is very important. You can also bend the hose a bit to reduce the inflow of water. After it’s full, move onto to the next aquarium and repeat. Please let me know if this makes sense. Thank you kindly and good luck. 

Thank you, this is very very helpful. But I guess I should've stated that the tank is only a 5g meant for my desk. But again this makes it a lot easier to understand. Do you know anything about ozone?

@Keeg Gotcha, for a 5 gallon, it is going to be way easier. I would use a “water change only” cup to scoop out water into a 5 gallon bucket. Dump the water or better yet, use it to water any plants you may have. Next fill water to whichever level of the bucket that you removed. Drop in dechlorinator, then use the water change cup to fill aquarium. You could use an air pump to circulate the water to ensure the dechlor has really been distributed throughout. 
Ozone is completely foreign to me. 

Edited by Manny
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:34 AM, sudofish said:

I add enough conditioner to treat the whole tank, not just the amount of water being replaced.

Can you over dose your fish with dechlorinators? I feel like this would slowly add more dechlorinator chemicals to the water. 

Thank you all so much for the help, Ive been keeping fish forever, never had to use dechlorinator. I really appreciate it!

On 8/29/2021 at 7:25 AM, Nooby said:

@KeegI let my water sit in a bucket over night to get rid of chlorine don’t know if it does anything tho, I get treated water

Chlorine will evaporate if the water left out like that, but some municipalities and water systems use chloramine instead, and it doesn't.  Something like Seachem Prime is needed then.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 6:41 AM, lefty o said:

for a 5 gallon tank where you are only going to change 1 or 2 gallons at a time, mix the water and dechlorinator in a bucket, then add to the tank. for anything bigger, i would add dechlorinator , and water to the tank at the same time.

Yes, consise and easy to follow. 
If it’s water from most Western Washington cities it’ll be extra soft so take that into consideration. 

• Like 1

I always used water straight from the tap. I fill the tank and add the chemicals. I just follow the instructions on the bottle, adding the recommended amount of the chemicals treatment for the whole tank. I never had any problem when it comes to my water chemistry nor any effect on the fish in the tank. I would suggest checking the quality of the water in that area and making a decision based on it. 

I heard that well water should still be treated. Ground water usually contains a lot of dissolved minerals and heavy metals. I don't know if its necessary to always treat it, just sharing what I heard. 

You can safely dose both seachem prime and fritz complete up to 5X the recommended dose. With fritz 1 pump is for 10 gallons, so you would be ok just putting a pump in. Ideally for a single dose to treat 5 gallons you'd want 1/2 a pump but I imagine that would be hard to get exactly and a full pump wouldn't hurt anything. My process for a tank like that would be to refill using something like a big 1 gallon pyrex cup. Just put the dechlorinator in the cup and fill it with water and dump it in.