How to Get Red Root Floaters to turn red

I have no issue with getting them to grow and flower but I cannot get them to turn red. The roots are crimson red but never the tops. A local has his deep red under LED shop lights. I’ve tried the same shop lights, several different Amazon RGB lights and even outside in one of my tubs. I have them in 8 different tanks ranging from bare bottom 5.5gal to HEAVILY planted and stocked 55. Using Easy Green weekly and twice weekly one some of the heavier planted tanks. No Co2 on any of them but I think that will changing soon for at least 4 of my show tanks. Thanks in advance 

C741F8AB-6412-4191-AD08-46BCFB801781.jpeg

• Love 1

I've heard that you need super high high light to get them red. But, it sounds like you have already tried lots of different light options. However, when grown in higher light, they need harder water. Maybe dosing iron would also help. 

Disclaimer, I have never kept these plants. I was asking about floating plants at my LFS, and this is the info the store guy told me. I ended up going with frog bit instead. Good luck!

High light will turn them red. You don't need to add CO2 as it is freely available from the air to floating plants. The ones in my outdoor tubs which has sun in the afternoon are more red than ones in my tank with LED light. I wish I can get mine to flower like yours.

IMG_3721.jpg

Edited by kammaroon
Added pic
  • Thanks 1

The secret to red plants is bright lights and **higher nitrates**, not iron.

If you have the same shoplight [and it's  the same distance from the plants] as another person, and you are getting flowers, but not turning red, I suspect you don't have enough nitrates in the water. 

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1