What is your perfect betta?

Keeg

Hey everybody, 

If you could make a very specific looking betta (or few), what would it look like? 

Personally a super red half-moon plakat with a crowntail hybrid, solid pectoral fins, and short pelvic fins 

image.png.291bb822163c6b4f69c3d61a1009eca9.png

Kind of like this but super red and shorter pelvic fins. 

Another one would be a white and black dumbo samurai plakat with medium white ears, no white lips, and short pelvic fins 

image.png.b00956de6e91035f8433b98e15ee565e.png

Like this but with medium sized dumbo fins, not too big where they get cut easily but not too small where they dont make waves when the fish doesn't move. These pelvic fins are perfect!! I love it when there the same length of the anal fin. 

EDIT: I DO NOT OWN THESE PHOTOS, JUST FOUND THEM ON GOOGLE IMAGES 

Edited by Keeg
  • Like 2

I would want a betta that was breed for health.  My current betta has gone blind (common in dragon scale) and developed tumors.   The two bettas I have had in recent years have not lived long or healthy lives.   At this point, I'm debating whether I want another heavily modified betta or if I should go with something else when my "old" guy dies.  I got him around labor day last year so I really don't consider him that old.   Even my heavily modified goldfish have been hardier then my bettas have at this point.    

Edited by Kathy F
word correction
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 12:32 PM, Kathy F said:

I would want a betta that was breed for health.  My current betta has gone blind (common in dragon scale) and developed tumors.   The two bettas I have had in recent years have not lived long or healthy lives.   At this point, I'm debating whether I want another heavily modified betta or if I should go with something else when my "old" guy dies.  I got him around labor day last year so I really don't consider him that old.   Even my heavily modified goldfish have been hardier then my bettas have at this point.    

And this is exactly why I have this little half moon plakat boy.  Less health issues that the long-finned kids.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:32 AM, Kathy F said:

Have you thought about any of the wild types? Like imbellis or mahachanisis 

• Love 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, Odd Duck said:

And this is exactly why I have this little half moon plakat boy.  Less health issues that the long-finned kids.

For real! I find that the short tails are way healthier long term than the big tails

On 8/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, Keeg said:

For real! I find that the short tails are way healthier long term than the big tails

Exactly!  And I toyed with the idea of a wild type and I may get one for my 14 gallon cube.  I’m still in a toss up about a wild type vs a mini school of nano fish like chilis.  It somehow seems a little wrong to get a wild type male with no intention of breeding.  I’m not completely sure why, but it feels more like I’m taking fish from the wild than when getting a plakat male.  😆  I very aware that I’d be getting a highly bred individual with a “wild type” and not truly a wild caught, but it still somehow throws me mentally back to my younger fish keeping days when wild “type” actually meant wild “caught”.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, Odd Duck said:

On 8/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, Keeg said:

Dragon scale refers to the scales not the size of the fins.  Both were plakats but only my current one is a dragon scale.  One was a blue giant plakat male (bought from a big box store) and the one I have currently is a blue rim dragon scale plakat (bought from a domistic seller that sources from a foreign betta breeder).   I never figured out what killed my giant but he didn't even make it to a year old and appeared healthy to about 24 hours before he died. The last 24 hour still looked healthy but lost interest in food.   Tested the water after he died and it was perfect.   He had no visible defects or illnesses and was the only fish in a 10 gallon so had no exposures and even if there was accidental cross contamination b/w aquariums none of my other fish were sick at the time and he was my only new fish.  I can only guess he had some sort of internal organ failure.  I know what is wrong with my dragon scale because the tumors and the thick scales growing over the eyes are visible.  About Betta Fish (bettablogging.com)  Mine looks like the bottom picture except his rim color is blue and the scales over his eyes are much thicker.   

On 8/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, Keeg said:

Have you thought about any of the wild types? Like imbellis or mahachanisis 

It is definitely something to consider.   I have also been considering stocking it with shrimp after Ripple (the current betta) dies.  I will have to see what is available when that happens.   Right now Ripple is just disabled but he is still moving and enjoying life.   

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 3:21 PM, Kathy F said:

Dragon scale refers to the scales not the size of the fins.  Both were plakats but only my current one is a dragon scale.  

It is definitely something to consider.   I have also been considering stocking it with shrimp after Ripple (the current betta) dies.  I will have to see what is available when that happens.   Right now Ripple is just disabled but he is still moving and enjoying life.   

I know what dragon scales are lol. When I was in Asia, cart sellers were selling them intentionally with diamond eye because of how they look. They're sought after like dumbos with massive feather/ rose tails. The deformities arent great for life quality of life but they sure do make money. 

All of my brother's wild type bettas dont seem to have an issue with shrimp. They're not that common in stores (got the last two at the co-op) but online there's plenty of sellers, especially eBay. 

On 8/28/2021 at 1:48 PM, Odd Duck said:

Exactly!  And I toyed with the idea of a wild type and I may get one for my 14 gallon cube.  I’m still in a toss up about a wild type vs a mini school of nano fish like chilis.  It somehow seems a little wrong to get a wild type male with no intention of breeding.  I’m not completely sure why, but it feels more like I’m taking fish from the wild than when getting a plakat male.  😆  I very aware that I’d be getting a highly bred individual with a “wild type” and not truly a wild caught, but it still somehow throws me mentally back to my younger fish keeping days when wild “type” actually meant wild “caught”.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I totally get what you mean. Especially with the aquarium trade causing a lot of species to dwindle in their natural environment. When I got my puffer, I knew they were mostly wild caught, but he was one of the first bred in captivity and I don't feel guilty about the purchase. 

Why not have both, a small school of bettas! Specifically betta persephone, super tiny and they can live in groups. 

There is one "wild" type that I feel really isnt wild, and that's the alien bettas. They got the wild genes but they're like a Frankenstein's monster of wild genes. 

On 8/28/2021 at 5:43 PM, Keeg said:

I totally get what you mean. Especially with the aquarium trade causing a lot of species to dwindle in their natural environment. When I got my puffer, I knew they were mostly wild caught, but he was one of the first bred in captivity and I don't feel guilty about the purchase. 

Why not have both, a small school of bettas! Specifically betta persephone, super tiny and they can live in groups. 

There is one "wild" type that I feel really isnt wild, and that's the alien bettas. They got the wild genes but they're like a Frankenstein's monster of wild genes. 

Yes, aliens are a good ways from their ancestral roots, even if it’s not quite as far from their roots as most splendens.  I’ll check into the persephone, sounds interesting!  How many could go into a planted 14 gallon cube comfortably with only a couple small nerites and maybe a trio of Amanos for company?

I don’t currently have it super loaded with plants.  It’s only lightly planted now, but I will be adding much more soon.  My Crypt. ‘Pink Panther’ starts from the tissue cup didn’t do very well.  I was hoping they only melted back from the move, but they’re not springing back up, still.  😞  I do have plenty of plants I can add for line of sight breaks to make the tank more appropriate for Betta sp.  I was considering/debating keeping it a bit more open in the front for nano fish schooling room.

On 8/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, aliens are a good ways from their ancestral roots, even if it’s not quite as far from their roots as most splendens.  I’ll check into the persephone, sounds interesting!  How many could go into a planted 14 gallon cube comfortably with only a couple small nerites and maybe a trio of Amanos for company?

With a 14 I think you may be able to get away with a group of 4-6 max if it was heavily planted and gender ratio is right. But with an open tank, a pair would do lovely. They're so small id wouldn't even be concerned about snails or shrimp. You might have to do some more research as these guys are a future fish for me. 

Growing up, I always had veil tail or crown tail bettas because I liked the look of the long, flowy fins. 

These days, I prefer Plakat bettas because I feel like the long fins can sort of be a hinderance to their swimming, especially in a tank with some water flow. 

As for color, I love the look of koi/galaxy/marble bettas. Bonus points for any combination of pink, blue, and/or purple. 

• Like 1

I like solid color bettas best, and especially solid white, or solid yellow, but I've never had one. I've always just had whatever betta looked most desperate/ready to give up the ghost in his cup at the grocery store--mostly random maroon/vaguely blue guys. One day I will buy a solid white or yellow one like this guy:

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:54 PM, Keeg said:

With a 14 I think you may be able to get away with a group of 4-6 max if it was heavily planted and gender ratio is right. But with an open tank, a pair would do lovely. They're so small id wouldn't even be concerned about snails or shrimp. You might have to do some more research as these guys are a future fish for me. 

Wow!  Gorgeous little fish!  I really like this idea, but after some research, I think I might put these in my 20 long instead.  It’s already heavily planted with loads of hiding places.  It will likely be a while before I can find some, it looks like, I didn’t see many listed for sale.

I’ll be pulling pea puffers out of the 20 long soon to move them to the 29 once it’s ready.  I’ve got most of my plants for the 29, my driftwood is ready (just attached slate to the stubborn floater today).  I just need to let substrate settle down after installing substrate and planting, which should be happening tomorrow or Monday.

Then I’ll let the 20 sit empty for a bit so the current algae hot mess gets under control (messy murder beans, you know).  I’ll drain it as low as possible once pea puffers are out and refill with straight RODI and see what that does for the pH and that should help reduce algae, too.  I’ve got access to loads of oak leaves, even have plenty of alder cones, but I’ll wait until some algae clears before adding more organics.

Now I have to go find a source for Betta persephone!

• Love 1