Helping an Unloved Tank Fight Cyanobacteria

Shot this rambling video earlier today. I’ve had problems with this tank for awhile. It’s a 40 gal breeder. Cyanobacteria got a grip, so I hit with a mild dose of E. M. Erythromycin after hand cleaning out a lot. Kind of satisfying to see it gone, though I’m far from happy with the tank. Any tips on defeating this “dusty” algae?

Put in a big bunch of Hornwort. I'm convinced allelopathy is real and algae can't survive in a tank with Hornwort. Of course that is just my experience, maybe it can and the addition of Hornwort was the thing that put those tanks into the ever elusive "balance". But, when I took the Hornwort out of my shrimp only tank and the one with Hillstream Loaches in it to see if the algae would come back (like I wanted) it did. Not right away but within a few weeks. I purposely didn't change anything else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2021 at 10:20 PM, Ken said:

Put in a big bunch of Hornwort. I'm convinced allelopathy is real and algae can't survive in a tank with Hornwort. Of course that is just my experience, maybe it can and the addition of Hornwort was the thing that put those tanks into the ever elusive "balance". But, when I took the Hornwort out of my shrimp only tank and the one with Hillstream Loaches in it to see if the algae would come back (like I wanted) it did. Not right away but within a few weeks. I purposely didn't change anything else. 

Sounds like a plan. I'll give that a try. Any there plants besides horn wort that you think would suffice?

Could Najas (Guppy Grass) accomplish much the same result? 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:43 PM, Fish Folk said:

Could Najas (Guppy Grass) accomplish much the same result? 

I don't think so. I tried Guppy Grass before I got the Hornwort, it didn't seem to have any effect on algae but did suck up some nitrates. I don't think I have any left, I pulled it all out after I got the Hornwort. The worst part of Guppy Grass is it isn't really a floater. It just drifts around in the water column and gets tangled up in the other plants, wood, sponge filters or HOB intakes. Hornwort stays up top where I want it and can grab out handfuls and chuck them every couple weeks.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:10 PM, Ken said:

I don't think so. I tried Guppy Grass before I got the Hornwort, it didn't seem to have any effect on algae but did suck up some nitrates. I don't think I have any left, I pulled it all out after I got the Hornwort. The worst part of Guppy Grass is it isn't really a floater. It just drifts around in the water column and gets tangled up in the other plants, wood, sponge filters or HOB intakes. Hornwort stays up top where I want it and can grab out handfuls and chuck them every couple weeks.

If this works, I shall nominate you for something awesome . . . 

On 8/26/2021 at 10:20 PM, Ken said:

When I suction cup hornwort on the side wall of some tanks that get too much sun on a side ..if I remove the hornwort there is always a bare spot in the shape the hornwort was touching or almost touching. 

On 8/27/2021 at 4:49 AM, Nooby said:

@KenI have never failed to kill hornwort , tips?

I didn't think you could kill hornwort!!  I wish i could find more of it.  Put it in a tank ...dose with easy green and watch it be happy is the recipe I have been using and it grows great.   With strong enough light it even turns a bronze color and its quite beautiful.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:08 PM, Fish Folk said:

Shot this rambling video earlier today. I’ve had problems with this tank for awhile. It’s a 40 gal breeder. Cyanobacteria got a grip, so I hit with a mild dose of E. M. Erythromycin after hand cleaning out a lot. Kind of satisfying to see it gone, though I’m far from happy with the tank. Any tips on defeating this “dusty” algae?

You only think its gone.  Trust me ...its not.  The EM has knocked the wind out of it but but you don't address it now....it will come back with and with a vengeance but even stronger.  I went toe to toe with it once....it beat the crap out of me.  I tried blacking out the tank it played peek a boo.   I tried a mild dose of EM ( it cowered in fear and left but it came back...ON STEROIDS). Tired a heavy dose of EM....It laughed at me.  Tried Bleach and I swear it was singing "Cant touch this" from MC Hammer. 

I know you think I'm kidding but I'm not.  I ended up tearing apart the tank over it I didnt have hornwort then but I do now. Trying to get it into every tank but cant find any locally.  I dont know if it is the magic cure but if it is like @Ken says Im going to start farming the stuff... LOL  Wishing you the best in your fight!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/27/2021 at 10:33 AM, Nooby said:

@ARMYVET I suspected too much light

Hmmm.....! wouldnt think that would do it seeing how I have some in my pond and it gets  direct light from this really large light bulb called...the SUN... but maybe being artificial light has something in it that it doesn't like....That's weird.  I would try some again and make sure you use some easy green and talk nicely to it every day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:43 AM, Guppysnail said:

There was a wonderful thread on here name that plant describing that hornwort needs lots of calcium. 

That might explain why it does great for me....I have liquid rock for water and the minerals get replaced every other day with my water changes,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but cyanobacteria isn't algae, so the thing about hornwort defeating algae wouldn't be relevant.

Edit: Oh I see. You meant cyanobacteria and algae separately. Got it. Then this may be something you'd want to know: I stuffed a "pea soup" tank with hornwort and pothos roots in an effort to clear it. The result is pale green water instead of pea soup, plus hair algae, staghorn, and flat algae on the glass. So it... might have helped. I mean, I can see the fish now, but.

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, Jennifer V said:

Where did ya'll get your hornwort? Looking to add some to my tank. 

There is an lfs 2 hrs from me. Take care though I tried several online places including big name ones. It came and was obviously wild harvested critters mud and all…no big deal just long quarantine. it also ships miserably in my experience find it local if possible. 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

There is an lfs 2 hrs from me. Take care though I tried several online places including big name ones. It came and was obviously wild harvested critters mud and all…no big deal just long quarantine. it also ships miserably in my experience find it local if possible. 

Thank you! I was looking for it online but I'll try locally instead. 

• Like 1