If You Had Only One 75 Gal. Tank…

Fish Folk

On 8/27/2021 at 8:00 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

For colder water probably biotope with paradise fish (I like the regular ones, although probably the round tailed ones if I could get any fish).

Thank you!! I’ve been waiting for someone to shine some love on Paradise Fish. I do believe I’ll breed them someday! They are so under rated…

E686B9B4-A72B-43F6-8FF8-18CF6B52FC99.jpeg.eb8be2ad4cbddc3d40c8f04423f553dd.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:07 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Your gold/blue rams are pretty.

Having only 1 tank is already what I have to aim toward. I only have 1 tank that my kid with special needs will never be able to break. It's 1" thick acrylic, and 29 gallons - but I'd do similar with a 75.

Sustainability and calm are both required, so from the bottom up:

Inert substrate - likely tiny gravel.

sponge filters - 1 whose sponge is replaced with purigen bags 

Whatever green plants will thrive without prompting. Val and anubias are doing best so far.

I've made little rock "huts" as hiding places. Each is 3 big pebbles with a 2-3 inch "pancake" rock glued on top, and a rhizome or moss glued on top the roof. 

A few little pieces of cuttlebone and cattapa leaf are on the bottom.

microcrustaceans

3 small species of breeding snails

breeding neocaridina

breeding endlers

breeding dwarf red coral platies (length of endlers, but chubby)

1 angelfish, happy to live face-first in the buffet 

I'll probably stick pothos out the top, but the tank is pretty sealed-off for its and my kid's protection.

All of that is good with room temp. 

Did you get the custom tank? Did I miss some pictures somewhere?

On 8/27/2021 at 8:34 PM, Ken said:

Did you get the custom tank? Did I miss some pictures somewhere?

Yeah! I got it! The same guy who made Murphy's tank did it for me, using scraps from other builds. Seriously, that dude is SO good-hearted. Having this magical unbreakable box brings me cry-worthy relief. Fish are how I don't absolutely lose my mind. Emotionally speaking, I was in dire need of this reassurance that I CAN always have fish. 

No, I didn't put pictures up. I don't have the forum app on my phone (where all the pics are), so it's kind of a pain to do pics. My little profile pic is my angel though. (ie "my man") 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, TankofFish said:

I would also look into the ozark longear sunfish @Fish Folk

I know, right?! I think they need a HUGE tank . . . and they're ultra aggressive. You'll only get those colors, I suspect, if you have enough direct sunlight on the tank too. But seriously, that's the equal or better than any Cichlid in the hobby. Here's the video that's made the rounds . . .

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I would either do

(A) A tank with Orangespotted sunfish, Redfin Shiners, and Orangethroat Darters

(B) A Florida biotope with Bluefin Killifish, Florida Flagfish, Golden Topminnows, Brown Darters, Bluespotted Sunfish, and possibly either Flagfin or Taillight Shiners

or (C) A darter tank (mixed species) with a moderately sized school of Rainbow Shiners 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:46 AM, Taco Playz said:

Probably a goldfish tank. Maybe 3 black moors and call it a day.

I was visiting an LFS a few years ago, talking with the owner who had been in the business for many decades. I asked him if he kept fish at home, and what he kept. He add answered, “Those fancy, googly-eyed goldfish. I just love ‘em.”

• Haha 1

For me if I could only have 1 it would have to be African cichlids. Probably a couple venustus, really like red shoulders, otter point Jake’s another of my favorites but would more than likely be some kind of aulonocara.

would get them as juveniles and try to plant it up with Val, swords, and Java fern. Such a fascinating fish.

Aulonocara

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, Atitagain said:

For me if I could only have 1 it would have to be African cichlids. Probably a couple venustus, really like red shoulders, otter point Jake’s another of my favorites but would more than likely be some kind of aulonocara.

would get them as juveniles and try to plant it up with Val, swords, and Java fern. Such a fascinating fish.

Aulonocara

That’s cool! Africans are beautiful. I miss my “Vinny.” 

• Like 1