Does this exist/ should this exist?

Atitagain

Maybe this or something similar is in stores I haven’t seen or heard of it…

in this day and age I don’t believe big box stores (so hard to have knowledgeable 16 year olds) don’t use some kind of kiosk with a laptop or tablet of some sort with a listing of all fish they have available. A more detailed description than a 2” sticker, actual reference pics of mid grown and full grown, suggested foods, habitat types, temperature parameters, tank size, recommended tank mates ( even a drop down “is this fish safe with xxxx?) ect… could be as detailed as they wanted as long as it was user friendly. 

LFS that I’ve visited seem to have a much higher standard on who is hired and probably more intensive training so maybe not for them. But the box stores??? Could be they don’t mind uneducated customers so they have to come back and buy meds, bigger tanks, and be up sold easily.

Random thought…

@Odd Duck we were discussing obsessive behavior in another thread, I’ve only been thinking on this for 4-5 hours 🥴

• Love 1

When I worked at chain pet store, they had this idea. We had ipads with vague information that wasn't actually useful and was always trying to sell the customer on a different product. 

I did build a binder for medications and for fish species and compatibility for that store as I was tired of getting calls on my days off and frankly people should have a quick reference when it comes to medications for fish. All the meds you see on the shelf are meant for humans and minorly altered to dissociate in an aqueous environment. So they are well studied and different ones have different effectiveness at different pH, kH, and gH or will alter these balances so are best left out of the display tank.

I think you are definitely on to something though, there is way to much info out their for a layman to try and keep track of, and some old aquarium keeping myths that get passed around. It'd be nice to have a consolidated database like a wine database where people could even leave reviews. Corydoras: Pairs well with medium rare steak and roasted brussel sprouts

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

Well ours is staffed by retirees and they weren't any more knowledgable.   I asked if they had a digital thermometer since the older I get the harder time I have reading the regular thermometers with their tiny little numbers.   She said no and came back with a reg thermometer and just told me to keep it in the green.  I told her I already had that thermometer and I needed to keep my tank at exactly 75 degrees due to the different fish I'm keeping in the same aquarium.   I think I'm just going to order an Inkbird controller online and call it a day.        

On 8/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, Kathy F said:

Well ours is staffed by retirees and they weren't any more knowledgable.   I asked if they had a digital thermometer since the older I get the harder time I have reading the regular thermometers with their tiny little numbers.   She said no and came back with a reg thermometer and just told me to keep it in the green.  I told her I already had that thermometer and I needed to keep my tank at exactly 75 degrees due to the different fish I'm keeping in the same aquarium.   I think I'm just going to order an Inkbird controller online and call it a day.        

Inkbirds are awesome I use on all my tanks but they need calibrated. I calibrate mine to my temp gun (etekcity super cheap on amazon) I have not been able to read a regular thermometer in years🤣

• Thanks 1

My local big box store (called 'PetsAtHome', I think it's a large chain if not the largest in the UK) sort of does this, the staff have tablets and if you ask them a question they just Google it! Kind of works though isn't the same as having their own database, so as far as I can tell they use it if they get asked a question but not in general to educate customers on what they are buying etc. Better than nothing I suppose!

They do at least have labels with some very simple information like how how big the fish gets, if they should be kept alone/in groups/how aggressive they are/how beginner friendly so there's that too. 

@Atitagain I think a database like that is a genius idea. 

(Can you imagine all the arguing that would take place while making the database? 🤣 )

It would also be good if stores just plastered obvious signs to the effect of, "Never buy an aquatic animal before you've done your own research." But less words, because people don't read a full sentence while excited. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

So they are well studied and different ones have different effectiveness at different pH, kH, and gH or will alter these balances so are best left out of the display tank.

Never even thought about this even tho it makes perfect sense. And you having to build a binder for a box store really drives my point of lack of training.

@Nooby. @Biotope Biologist wouldn’t profit come from more satisfied more educated return customers. At minimal cost for a box store?

@Kathy F try these I have 12 of them for over a year they work great and I’ve only had to replace batteries on one of them007FE097-16AD-4FDB-80EC-884DC4814144.png.de66f452967eacf26b66d7570879e2f9.pngsorry I suck at add links pic is best I could do 😳

@KentFishFanUK

On 8/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

My local big box store (called 'PetsAtHome', I think it's a large chain if not the largest in the UK) sort of does this, the staff have tablets and if you ask them a question they just Google it! Kind of works though isn't the same as having their own database

Mine does the same but a central computer. Was asking worker about sexing German blue rams he didn’t know I told him only way I knew and he said let’s go look it up. I thought this was extra care the store didn’t have to supply. Big fan The Reef Indianapolis,IN

On 8/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Can you imagine all the arguing that would take place while making the database? 🤣

Oh my I was laughing so hard… I can imagine the meeting a few corporate lawyers, a ceo, branch managers, then the meanest NERM we can come up with

@Guppysnailafter posting this and I had a couple more hours for this to consume my thoughts I came to this realization as well

On 8/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, Guppysnail said:

i think they figure anyone who has understanding has a phone to look things up everyone else is easy money to sell as much nonsense as they want to them

box stores thrive on the impulse market and doing research might drive away to many customers. Sure everyone has a phone but they don’t want to remind them to look at them just BUY BUY BUY then bring your problems back to us for the big ole up sale on all the other products where the real profit margins are. Ugggggg corporations 😡

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Atitagain to answer your first question yes having knowledgeable and friendly staff is a huge driver for sales. I can't tell you how many parents came in looking for a fishbowl to throw a goldfish into and leaving with about $200 worth of equipment in the form of a 20 or 35 gallon starter. That just starts the chain reaction. Once the parents themselves get excited about keeping fish then the wallets stay open. 

It also helps to display the fish in their natural environment. For instance white cloud minnows were our worst sellers, but as soon as we dropped the temps and added a powerhead with a bunch of slate pieces and plants. They were bright with breeding colors. And watching them surf the currents inspired many people to buy and build the setup on their own.

But the passion has to be there, otherwise the knowledge is empty. I think that's why the aquarium coop is so succesful. It has managed to create an environment for the nermdom to feel comfortable. Shameless plug I know.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, Atitagain said:

Maybe this or something similar is in stores I haven’t seen or heard of it…

in this day and age I don’t believe big box stores (so hard to have knowledgeable 16 year olds) don’t use some kind of kiosk with a laptop or tablet of some sort with a listing of all fish they have available. A more detailed description than a 2” sticker, actual reference pics of mid grown and full grown, suggested foods, habitat types, temperature parameters, tank size, recommended tank mates ( even a drop down “is this fish safe with xxxx?) ect… could be as detailed as they wanted as long as it was user friendly. 

I wonder if a resourceful entrepreneur could create a QR code system to do all of that where that kisok would be basically the smartphone you scan it with. Then just drop the QR code(s) into a holder on the tank depending on what is in it. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 1:36 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

I wonder if a resourceful entrepreneur could create a QR code system to do all of that where that kisok would be basically the smartphone you scan it with. Then just drop the QR code(s) into a holder on the tank depending on what is in it. 

That would be next level 

On 8/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

It also helps to display the fish in their natural environment. For instance white cloud minnows were our worst sellers, but as soon as we dropped the temps and added a powerhead with a bunch of slate pieces and plants. They were bright with breeding colors. And watching them surf the currents inspired many people to buy and build the setup on their own

I always wonder why so many people liked these fish I haven’t done any research on them. I’ll have to look them up, sounds like a fun tank!

since 99% of people carry a phone on them (not me, mine still plugs into the wall), they could just print one of them codes on the tag with the fishes name. you phone folks could just scan the code, and up pops all the relative info for that fish.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, lefty o said:

since 99% of people carry a phone on them (not me, mine still plugs into the wall), they could just print one of them codes on the tag with the fishes name. you phone folks could just scan the code, and up pops all the relative info for that fish.

ahh, i see thats already been mentioned. thread scanning doesnt always work.🤪

On 8/26/2021 at 4:36 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Yes @Patrick_Gnext level indeed. Probably much cheaper especially long them. Would be able to have home page for each fish (kinda what I was thinking at start) then more in-depth links for breeding, wild habitats, education on a wide range of subjects. again as in depth as they wanted to go. If I could shop at home see stock list educate myself, curb side pick up. How would this not be a winner.

now I figure out what I want from whatever source. Check their web site if in stock maybe I go to store, if they don’t have it and I see something else that catches my eye now I have to go to different site to research more times than not I don’t get back to their site.

at store each tank/ fish has own QR code and fish area has a QR code for every fish they have( maybe just each home page) you can browse as you shop other areas.

lol sorry I feel like I’m nerming out on my wife maybe I’m just rambling. Obsessive behavior blessing/ curse I DONT KNOW!!!

On 8/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, Atitagain said:

Yes @Patrick_Gnext level indeed. Probably much cheaper especially long them. Would be able to have home page for each fish (kinda what I was thinking at start) then more in-depth links for breeding, wild habitats, education on a wide range of subjects. again as in depth as they wanted to go. If I could shop at home see stock list educate myself, curb side pick up. How would this not be a winner.

now I figure out what I want from whatever source. Check their web site if in stock maybe I go to store, if they don’t have it and I see something else that catches my eye now I have to go to different site to research more times than not I don’t get back to their site.

at store each tank/ fish has own QR code and fish area has a QR code for every fish they have( maybe just each home page) you can browse as you shop other areas.

lol sorry I feel like I’m nerming out on my wife maybe I’m just rambling. Obsessive behavior blessing/ curse I DONT KNOW!!!

i wouldnt trust a box store with curbside pickup for fish. some things you just need to see before its bagged.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, Atitagain said:

then more in-depth links for breeding, wild habitats

A note on what could be extremely helpful IMO is what parameters they are raised in as well as natural.  I found when I wanted guppies I struggled which I never did with other fish. Some are raised in brackish (some level of salinity) water some are not and not knowing this even occurred with the store itself not knowing I had several sort of just fall apart. I had no idea why until I later asked my lfs who called their source. Many discuss on here how a lot of fish can be kept warm or cool but to transition I would think the raised in information would be useful? 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 6:29 PM, Nooby said:

@Atitagain asking you to google is way easier for them than making a whole database , plus it doesn’t really lead to better profit so they probably wouldn’t do it.

Yea I get it but that’s my whole point they are a multi million$ company this would be such a drop in the bucket to big box giants to help the first time buyers, beginners, and 1-3 tank owners ( I’m guessing this is their target market)

I know what the problem is, I’ve been shopping, learning, and being spoiled by a one of a kind, customer service is our #1 priority company so long Aquarium coop is such an amazing business model. I get it I’ve heard @Corysay his target market is 3 tank owners then take them to a fish room (exactly what he’s done for me) so there not the same but that’s why it makes more sense to me so they could retain a lot of their beginners longer 

just the random thoughts of a carpenter lol 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, lefty o said:

i wouldnt trust a box store with curbside pickup for fish. some things you just need to see before its bagged.

Don’t get me started on this I’ve been rambling on here all day already .lol very much agreed that would need fixed as well 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:17 PM, Atitagain said:

Don’t get me started on this I’ve been rambling on here all day already .lol very much agreed that would need fixed as well 

to be honest, i want to see the fish first at the LFS too. granted you have better odds at the LFS, but they arent perfect.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:19 PM, lefty o said:

to be honest, i want to see the fish first at the LFS too. granted you have better odds at the LFS, but they arent perfect.

Me as well but I’m a slightly seasoned fish keeper, does the average beginner,  impulse buyer, person who would curbside pick up really care about more than the pics of what it could be

McDs sells a billion big-Mack’s I’ve never bought one that looks like the pic but I’ll buy another for sure. I believe customer service is all it takes to retain most customers.

• Like 1

I think that this kind of technology wouldn't really drive sales to much and might even drag them down. Would people buy an oscar if they knew it would grow in to a foot long carnivore (probably not). Also you are dealing with supply and demand, if there was such a thing would the big box stores really invest in it? How much extra revenue would it bring in? these are the issues the companies ask themselves. Also I don't think many shoppers would be that trusting of a database a company put together to sell you something. 

• Like 1