Denison Barbs didn’t make a move.

Lifeisgood

So broken hearted today!  Five of my six five inch Denison barbs died in a move when they were in a five gallon bucket with an air stone for just 3 hours.  Rosy barbs and Hillstream loaches we’re in gallon bags and did fine.  I started out with the Denisons in gallon bags with there own tank water but when they looked stressed after very little time, I put them in a five gallon bucket with the water from their tank with an air stone right away.

I had no idea that they would be so sensitive to being caught and put in a bucket.  Has anyone else had this problem or what should I have done differently?

• Sad 2

On 8/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, Nooby said:

@Lifeisgood At the start I was losing a lot of fish when shipping my method is to ship in smaller batches instead of one big batch (disclaimer:not fool proof)

So you think it might have happened because I had all six in one container?

I know that they are a skittish breed too.  Maybe they don’t transport well as adults because they freak out so bad—like they have heart attacks or something.  I guess I am wondering if someone knows about them.  When I purchased them a few years back-they were tiny.

Sorry to hear this I love everyone of my fish and hate to lose 1 for any reason. Sounds like these meant a lot to you, hopefully you will get plenty of good advice about transporting to lessen the risk in the future. I keep all my tanks for show so I’m not skilled on this topic but from what I can tell you did nothing wrong.

Time will help and experience is the best way to learn. Good wishes

• Thanks 1

I was just talking to my lfs owner the other day about denison barbs (I was thinking about them for my next tank). He was telling me the most important thing with them is a high oxygen content in the water. He said one time just doing a 60% water change they started rolling and were almost killed because of the low oxygen content of change water. He said he had to vigorously agitate the water to revive them. He said if there was a power outage they would probably start suffering within an hour. And he has kept them since the very first import batch decades ago. So even if you had an air stone, all of them in that small of a space was probably insufficient, especially if the water got warm. They are such beautiful fish but he talked me out of them at this time because I want something hardier. Sorry for your loss. 

@nooby All the denison barbs available from reputable retailers are tank bred and do not affect wild populations. Tiger barbs and denison barbs are very different fish and therefore having a preference is acceptable and no one should be made to feel bad for choosing a responsibly managed fish.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 7:36 AM, Amanda said:

I was just talking to my lfs owner the other day about denison barbs (I was thinking about them for my next tank). He was telling me the most important thing with them is a high oxygen content in the water. He said one time just doing a 60% water change they started rolling and were almost killed because of the low oxygen content of change water. He said he had to vigorously agitate the water to revive them. He said if there was a power outage they would probably start suffering within an hour. And he has kept them since the very first import batch decades ago. So even if you had an air stone, all of them in that small of a space was probably insufficient, especially if the water got warm. They are such beautiful fish but he talked me out of them at this time because I want something hardier. Sorry for your loss. 

Thanks for this insight.  This is probably exactly what happened.  I just wanted to gain understanding and learn from what happened so I am grateful that you shared it.  And the grueling final days that we had to move the fish it was over 90 degrees.

At least I had success at moving the Hillstream loaches with all of their tiny offspring.  They can be difficult to ship due to oxygen levels as well, but no losses with them.  Everybody appears to be enjoying the bigger tank.😊

• Like 2