Worried about shrimp

KentFishFanUK

@Guppysnail Thanks for the tip!  I was fortunate to see some advice here on dosing BacterAE prior to purchasing it, so I was forwarned.  I purchased the smallest container they sell and at the "baby scoop in a baby scoop" rate I'm going through it,  I think I have at least a lifetime supply.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 10:59 PM, Guppysnail said:

If your high in calcium no need. I throw in a wondershell now and then if I think about it but I doubt you really need to. Solvent green is heavy insect protein I use it to but nerite steers clear 

Ah there's probably plenty of algae anyway and if not I'll start an algae rock nursery haha. My dad is into rock collecting/polishing and is always trying to give loads away so at least it would give me another use for them! 

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2021 at 11:15 PM, Crabby said:

As most have already said, chances are they’re all fine. Shrimp hide, that’s just what they do when there are fish in the tank. Unfortunately if you got them for algae, you probably got the wrong ones. But shrimp are amazing, so I’m sure you’ll enjoy them nonetheless.

Even if they are not all fine, though, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND putting a sponge on your filter intake. Just reduce that risk. There’s no harm in getting one; they’re cheap and easy to install. If you’re in America, I’m sure your LFS has some, or the co-op.

I know amanos would have been better for algae but couldn't bring myself to get them, I find them kind of ugly/creepy (at least cherry shrimp are colourful and kinda cute) plus I've read reports and even seen videos of amanos attacking fish (I know the majority of people have no problem like that but I'm a worrier!).

My filter is one of these monstrosities: 

s-l1600.jpg.fa165c31807677ae807e502e16ebb293.jpg

(I'm a fan can you tell? 😂) the 'intake' is some slits/holes in the plastic on the right hand side (out of view on this picture) so not sure how I would attach a sponge to it?

On 8/25/2021 at 11:22 PM, Atitagain said:

I would maybe be leery of the goiramis, I’ve got a heavily planted (mostly with vallisneria) 55G with mystery snails, glowlight tetra, and then took 10 of my cherry shrimp placed them in there and they took off maybe 50-60 I then added 2 blue goiramis both about 1 1/4” it’s a month later and I can’t find one cherry shrimp😳

not sayin you can’t make it work but I will not be putting any more shrimp in that tank for sure.

I've heard that honey gouramis are slightly more shrimp safe as they are smaller and more peaceful, I don't mind if they eat some shrimp babies as I don't want too many of them anyway, hopefully the adults will be left alone though (I've read other people's accounts of keeping them together which gives me the confidence to try at least). I'll report back when I can!

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, NanoNano said:

A couple of thoughts for you:

* My experience with shrimp has been that "the smarter ones"  find hiding places for the first week or two in a new environment so they can figure out the food and predator situation without becoming the food part of that equation.  I'm betting that's what's going on in your tank.  I would try breaking out a flashlight or doing a quick tank check after the lights have been out for an hour or so. 

* Many "algae" wafers are actually 30-40% fish meal/protein.  Nerite snails are herbivores and will only eat animal protein under duress.  Natural algae and biofilm are their preferred foods.  I've started feeding BacterAE (biofilm growth promoter) in my shrimp and snail tanks and the Nerites seem to be doing a lot more "grazing" on surfaces than previously.  Shrimp do need some protein (and calcium),  so some dedicated shrimp food as supplement is a good idea.  I'm using Sera Shrimp Food which my shrimp seem to love,  but to be honest,  I think they'll eat just about anything.

* I tried my best to create a perfect pH, perfect mineralized environment for my shrimp to breed in.  They grew monstrously large...but no babies.  I eventually ran out of mineralizer and they went "cold turkey" onto plain old tap water and boom- babies everywhere a few weeks later.  Once your shrimp get settled into you tank- if you don't see breeding,  you might want to change their water parameters to see if that encourages things.

Best of luck- love to see updates on how things progress and your experiences and learnings.

I've tried looking with a flashlight but not after lights out so might try that next. It's only been a few days so if you say a week or so then hopefully its just that.

Might have to get the vegetarian repashy and try that then. I was thinking about bacterAE, is it just dried biofilm or does it help bacteria and biofilm grow? I feel like it might be good for the tank ecosystem in general if it does, plus my oto's and cories will munch on it too right? 

Once I'm fully stocked and everything's settled in etc I'll be sure to post some pictures of everything. 

On 8/26/2021 at 12:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

@NanoNano if you just started using bacterae GO LIGHT. I mean 1/4-1/8 of what they recommend.  I used to use all glass garden products for mine that and shrimp fit are great but will gunk a tank horribly if you continually use their dose. 😁 trying to be helpful from experience.  Now I don’t even feed mine but they are in a community.  I thought I had 100+ I just moved out 100+ to 3 other tanks in attempt to completely relocate. I didn’t even make a dent in the hoarde 🤣🤣🤣🤣 they do hide

Noted thanks! Will underdose if I go that route. 

On 8/26/2021 at 12:00 AM, Scott P. said:

@KentFishFanUK if it makes you feel any better I have the same deal going on. 

I added 10 cherry shrimp to my tank today. I can find at the most five of them. I know they are not in my filter as I have that part covered. It seems to be the larger ones that I can't find.  The super small ones are out and about. Took them just a few minutes to come out. The bigger ones are still in hiding.

Thanks it does make me feel better! Good luck with yours! What colour did you get?

Edited by KentFishFanUK

On 8/25/2021 at 2:24 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks I will try that, I haven't actually got any shrimp specific food, what do you recommend? Something which will attract them out of hiding! 

It's a lot of food for just a few shrimp, but take a look at 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:34 PM, JettsPapa said:

You might check.  I'm pretty sure Xtreme fish foods are available from sources other than Aquarium Co-op.

Yeah I've checked, there's a few sources I can order it from but it's anywhere from £40ish ($50ish) for a small 4" size tub (doesn't even say the weight) to like £140 for a big 10" tub because they are shipping it from the US. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update just because:

After like a month of never seeing more than two at a time (the same two at that) and one time spotting a third which gave me hope - yesterday I had 5 out all at the same time! Had to count them twice just to make sure haha! So at least 5 of the original 8 is still there. No idea where they have been hiding I looked everywhere. 

And one of them was berried! I have hope yet! 

• Like 3