Little help...from fish in to fishless cycle

moosepig

Good morning, 

Does anyone have any advice for a 54g corner tank that started out a little Spooky? What we have now is a fishless cycle, I presume? Do I add anything at this point or does the tank have enough feed to continue the cycle? The water is slightly cloudy, bare bottom, 81 F. The nitrites are 2ppm, ammonia monitor is in the yellow; could the Prime be binding the ammonia? Nitrates are still 5ppm.  

My inner voice is telling me to be patient, however I would hate to stall the forward movement of this cycle. Lil Spooky is counting on me. pooky.jpg.6c7e332808735cdd0004081e6a0ec061.jpg

You could try using something like FritzZyme turbostart or ApI quick start (other brands are available) to help get your cycle moving a bit faster. Along with water changes and regular testing to keep track of what is happening with your water, I use a spreadsheet to keep a record of what is happening over time for each of my tanks. 

If you use filter pads, I would take the old one and throw it in the tank with the filter. It has a ton of bacteria. Same goes with sponge filters, take one from a cycled tanks after while and stick it in the new un-cycled tank. It's a little messed up to do a fish in cycle but, I've always done it with a betta. It's cruel but in my opinion the best/ fastest method if you dont understand the fish flake stuff (I dont get it at all) or if you dont have old filter media from a filtered tank. You could always ask a friend/ reliable fish store (Make sure fish are healthy) if they have any old media you could have/buy/borrow. 

Problem being I have no access to groovy-gravy (brown gunk) anymore because the first time I found  out the importance of beneficial bacteria was after I followed instructions on a HOB and flushed it.. I already went through it with two Jewel cichlids, very traumatizing. It is not through lack of researching, I have found a ton of bad advice. Bought an unbelievable amount of products only to be wrong over and over again. Established media is hard to keep established. Once its disrupted, or out of water too long (or flushed) its gone.  I find this hobby frustrating, but I have high hopes!