PetSmart is trying out a new filter design--the "Pro Power Filter"

Frogmouth Catfish

Just saw these in a PetSmart for the first time today--seems as if they're trying to compete with Aquaclears and Tidals. I'm always fascinated by new equipment purely from a curiosity standpoint, so I was looking at them on their website: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filters/top-fin-pro-power-filter---70-gallon-63780.html?cgid=300108.

There are a few things that seem really counterintuitive about it--obviously, the 'protein' skimmer, which should probably be called a surface skimmer, paired with a sponge on the intake? Does that defeat the purpose of the sponge, somewhat? 

The sponge porosity seems iffy, just based on the picture--not as cramped as the mini ones Fluval sells, or used to sell, but not as good as the Coop ones. 

Internal media appears to be the standard trifecta of carbon pack, bio-ceramics, and sponge. What's up with that weird grill over the outlet? Someone at PetSmart worried a stiphodon goby might climb up the stream and live in there for a few weeks? (Don't laugh, it's happened to me several times). 

And boy, that plastic color. It just screams 'doctor's office.' I can TASTE that sterile dentist waiting room smell every time I look at this thing. 

Anyone tried them out? Thoughts?

5308256?$CLEARjpg$

Edited by Frogmouth Catfish

@Frogmouth Catfish I’ve wished a time or two that I had a grate in the opening of a filter outlet.  One of my smaller nerites managed to wedge himself into the impeller of a filter that has the little slide feature to reduce the flow.  Fortunately I just happened to be standing right there and got him right out uninjured.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Likely would have ruined the filter and him if I hadn’t been there.

I was just doing a routine check over of the tank, pulled the cover off, saw him in that compartment, and when I tried reaching in to get to him he dropped further down into the half exposed impeller immediately stopping it!

Yanked the plug, drained filter, disassembled, removed and checked over the nerite, reassembled, refilled with water, restarted filter, late leaving for work (thankfully I was still on time by the skin of my teeth), so thanks, tiny red nerite!

• Like 2

Not having one in hand to play with it is hard to offer more than opinions based on the photos.

Pro:  The sponge filter will keep tiny critters from getting sucked in and help with bacterial filtration.  The all in one filter/surface skimmer is a plus. Adjustable flow control is good.  The grill work will keep the shrimp and snails from exploring the inside of the filter (my Nerites do this occasionally).

Con: I don't see a protein skimmer.  I see limited mechanical filtration and a lot of "consumables" that the manufacturer hopes you will replace often.  The filter change reminder is a gimmick on a transparent housing.  The need for two different sized pairs of interchangeable grates on two individual spillways eludes me.  The leveling device on the bottom of the filter sends up red flags.

• Like 2

I wish they would stop doing the carbon packs. But I get that upcharging carbon is a gimmick that's made it's way into filtering already filtered tap water. I'm looking at you brita. 

The protein skimmer function while neat needs a control valve. In a freshwater environment that oil sheen from surface bacteria doesn't build up like it does in saltwater.

The thing I always worry about with top fin products is that magnetic propellor. Especially when you can control it's speed seems to break often. 

• Like 1

I haven’t used this filter so no comments on it, but I recognize it as the new topfin one, I have been really impressed with the new topfin line of products and pro foods. Especially their air pumps. I don’t really have the tanks to try the HOBS, but the price is very appealing same with it coming default with a intake sponge. 

On 8/26/2021 at 4:27 PM, Nooby said:

I always thought skimmers where for salt water tank.

I know nothing about salt water but I think a surface skimmer is nice in fresh water if you don't have an airstone to mix any oil or protein on the surface back in where it can be processed by microbes and doesnt impact surface gas exchange.

I think a saltwater protein skimmer, which this isn't, actually removes the protein film.  It's much more important in salt water but I have no idea why.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:32 PM, Nooby said:

Ohhh I have air stones so maybe that’s why I don’t see a need for it

Even without an air stone the water coming out of my HOB kept my surface clean.  On the Tidal filters they have a similar feature that is controversial.  Some like it, and I can see the use case for sure, some don't care at all, and others think it impairs water flow since you get less water from below coming in.  Really its a preference thing and the way its implemented here I kinda like it because I can always just stick a cork in it if I don't need it. 

Looking at it more I'm actually curious about the filter now.  It looks like it "fixes" some problems other HOBs have and is fairly aquaclear like.  I like the placement of the white sponge, I could replace it with a tiny UV lamp and maybe even a heater (my 50w heater is about 4" long).