Mental logic of buying aquarium equipment

Patrick_G

On 8/25/2021 at 8:25 PM, PineSong said:

I'm a first-generation non-smoker, so I can rationalize literally any purchase by saying "Well, I'm not spending $50 a week on cigarettes, so..." and off I go! 

I'm also good at comparing fish expenses to mammalian expenses. Not to be Debbie Downer, but once you've paid for geriatric pets' dental surgeries and a couple years of medications for your dog in liver failure, there isn't much in the fish store that seems pricey.

aint that the truth. im $70 every month and half into eye drops to keep the dog from going blind. fish arent so bad.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 9:25 PM, PineSong said:

I'm a first-generation non-smoker, so I can rationalize literally any purchase by saying "Well, I'm not spending $50 a week on cigarettes, so..." and off I go! 

I'm also good at comparing fish expenses to mammalian expenses. Not to be Debbie Downer, but once you've paid for geriatric pets' dental surgeries and a couple years of medications for your dog in liver failure, there isn't much in the fish store that seems pricey.

I know this feeling. Bearded dragon with stomach tumor and elderly cat with cancer sigh you are right I’m going to order a new lid….

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, Patrick_G said:

How many of you have this problem? I’ll agonize over a a few extra extra bucks for whatever new piece of gear I need, or go the diy route to save another few, but then walk out of the store with $100 (or more!) in plants or fish and feel totally great about it. 

I have the exact opposite problem.  I'll drop money on the equipment and setup to get everything "just right" for the fish I want.  But, I have a very specific fish or set of fish in mind long before I even have a new tank.  So, I know what I'll drop on the critters for weeks, if not months.  But I'll end up with a new linear piston air pump and a lot of PVC because it now "makes sense" to run that over the other air pumps, some of which are only a few months old.  🙄

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 4:46 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I have the exact opposite problem.  I'll drop money on the equipment and setup to get everything "just right" for the fish I want.  But, I have a very specific fish or set of fish in mind long before I even have a new tank.  So, I know what I'll drop on the critters for weeks, if not months.  But I'll end up with a new linear piston air pump and a lot of PVC because it now "makes sense" to run that over the other air pumps, some of which are only a few months old.  🙄

I’m with you, I have very limited room so fish require extra planning, it’s really plants that are my downfall! 

• Like 1