What fish do you have that is a water puppy?

Guppy Guy

On 8/24/2021 at 5:04 PM, md363 said:

@Guppy Guy  Cool!  I love Guppies!  I want to eventually have like a 20 gallon tank with different types of Guppies and possibly breed them.  But that's getting off topic, sorry.

They aren’t hard to breed, and that’s certain.

I got 5 males, and 2 females from my cousins a little over 2 years ago. The rest is history;

image.jpg

• Love 1

On 8/24/2021 at 5:09 PM, md363 said:

@Guppy Guy Awesome!  I would love to get into breeding them  🙂

When you do, don’t start off by buying the guppies. If you look hard enough, you can find someone who will give them to you(friends, aquarium clubs,etc.) If you can’t, ask your LFS for locally raised guppies instead. They will also be healthier, and easier to breed. Don’t fall in the trap of adding aquarium salt though. I only add that when I have an Ick outbreak.

Edited by Guppy Guy

On 8/24/2021 at 4:22 PM, Guppy Guy said:

When you do, don’t start off by buying the guppies. If you look hard enough, you can find someone who will give them to you(friends, aquarium clubs,etc.) If you can’t, ask your LFS for locally raised guppies instead. They will also be healthier, and easier to breed. Don’t fall in the trap of adding aquarium salt though. I only add that when I have an Ick outbreak.

We started off buying a pack of mutt guppies from a breeder, and that worked out well.   They've been really healthy so far!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Awesome, thanks for the advice!  I'll explore those options if I'm able to set-up a minimum 20 gallon tank  🙂

On 8/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, Fish Folk said:

These are definitely “wet pets” — my 🐶 🐠 puppies…

Discus are on that never-ending list of fish I want, I just don’t have a big enough tank, and I’m scared I will kill them.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, s1_ said:

Bumbo

PXL_20210806_154940497.jpg

Ahhhhh. Flower horns. Love them too. 

@s1_, you should post that in the Share your macro photos thread.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:40 PM, md363 said:

Awesome, thanks for the advice!  I'll explore those options if I'm able to set-up a minimum 20 gallon tank  🙂

No problem 👍 

On 8/24/2021 at 5:56 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Discus are on that never-ending list of fish I want, I just don’t have a big enough tank, and I’m scared I will kill them.

These are just in a 55 gal. Very easy to keep. Two large sponge filters. 1x water change per week. Temperature stays around 83-87° F. They eat a wide variety of frozen, dry, and live foods. Buy them young / small. All but one cost me less than $30 / each. 

On 8/24/2021 at 6:06 PM, Fish Folk said:

These are just in a 55 gal. Very easy to keep. Two large sponge filters. 1x water change per week. Temperature stays around 83-87° F. They eat a wide variety of frozen, dry, and live foods. Buy them young / small. All but one cost me less than $30 / each. 

Soft water though right?  the 83-87 I was thinking ...heck no problem but I have liquid rock for water.  My water comes out after all the sediment and carbon filters at a tds of 200.  Hence the reason for all the livebearers...lol

On 8/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, ARMYVET said:

Soft water though right?  the 83-87 I was thinking ...heck no problem but I have liquid rock for water.  My water comes out after all the sediment and carbon filters at a tds of 200.  Hence the reason for all the livebearers...lol

I think it’s something you just have to try. Many fish can adapt if added when reasonably young. 

Most of my fish are water puppies to some extent. I’m even getting my Celestial Pearls (who are supposed to be notoriously shy) to love me a little bit. They’ve gone from hiding whenever I come within 3 metres of the tank (hard to avoid when they’re inside the house) to actually coming out and dancing in front of me whenever I sit next to the tank. It’s ADORABLE. Now if only I could fix the algae problem so I can see them 😂

My serious water puppies would have to be my apistogrammas, my bettas (particularly my male), and maybe my Siames Algae Eater named Watson. He’s a bundle of fun. 

On 8/24/2021 at 7:02 PM, Crabby said:

Now if only I could fix the algae problem so I can see them 😂

It is likely your light settings. It should only be on 8-10 hours(8.5 is the sweet spot for me), and if you have something like a fluval aqua sky where you can adjust the colors, shut off blue, keep green and red to a minimum, and white should be at 60-80%.

Also check your phosphates and Nitrates too. Adding live plants can help a ton.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:57 AM, Guppy Guy said:

It is likely your light settings. It should only be on 8-10 hours(8.5 is the sweet spot for me), and if you have something like a fluval aqua sky where you can adjust the colors, shut off blue, keep green and red to a minimum, and white should be at 60-80%.

Also check your phosphates and Nitrates too. Adding live plants can help a ton.

It’s definitely my lights. I have 14 watt lights on all 3 of the 5 gallon tanks on my rack. Never thought I’d regret going high-light. Unfortunately I can’t dim them or anything. I’m getting some smart plugs so I can put them on a timer, thinking I’ll have to do 6 hours or something since I grow algae even on just 8 hours. 
I have live plants in all my tanks, and I don’t think I’ve ever had nitrates in one of my aquariums after I cycled it. The algae just seems to be light-based.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:30 PM, Crabby said:

Unfortunately I can’t dim them or anything.

I have a non dimmable..I bought a sheet of shade screen at the hardware store and lay it on my glass top under the light. You can affix it to the light itself I’m lazy not great or fancy but it works 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2